Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ergonomic cutting system for arthritis/fibermyalgia >

Need ergonomic cutting system for arthritis/fibermyalgia

Need ergonomic cutting system for arthritis/fibermyalgia

Old 11-07-2016, 05:10 PM

Default Need ergonomic cutting system for arthritis/fibermyalgia

I have been mostly a garment sewist for many years and recently decided to try some quilting. Ok, I am somewhat obsessed with it right now, and having so much fun planning and experimenting! I have done a couple of small wall-hangings that are paper-pieced, and one with invisible machine applique. So far, I have been drawing lines on the fabric and using a scissors to cut pieces. I have an Accuquilt Go that my husband got for me a couple of years ago with a few dies that came with it, but am unable to crank the handle due to arthritis/fibermyalgia in my hands, arms, shoulders, back, etc. I have a few different styles of rotary cutters and a couple of Olfa frosted rulers from years ago, but now find it very painful to hold the rulers down. I would love to know your advice about what cutting system you think might work for me.

So far, I have been considering the Go Electric, the Creative Grid Stripology/June Tailor Shape Cut, and the Alto QuiltCut 2. I live in a small 2 bedroom condo, so space is an issue. Initially, I thought about the Go Electric, but the expense, limitation of the dies available, and space to store it and the dies are questions for me. Also, I am dreaming about applique projects that would not correspond to the Accuquilt dies, which are also expensive. I've thought about buying the Go Electric and strip dies, but am not even sure what sizes I would buy and then need, and how to store the huge dies. So, I am hesitating before buying more Accuquilt products.

The Creative Grid Stripology (or June Tailor version) might work, although I'm not sure how much pressure is needed to hold down the ruler and difficulty in guiding the rotary cutter with my arthritis/fibermyalgia issues.

I also saw some comments about the Alto QuiltCut2 where people with various ergonomic issues seemed happy, and one website mentioned that a woman with the use of one arm was able to use it by weighting down the ruler at one end. It sounded encouraging, although I realize that it would take a lot of space to keep set up.

Thanks for the help! I'm dreaming of quilt projects....Beth

Last edited by tailormaid; 11-07-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:35 PM

I would consider selling the Accuquilt Go and buy the Go Big which is electric and has a lot of dyes with it that store in a 8" wide book like case for on a shelf. I, too, have had both shoulders operated on and cannot press on the rulers and cut with the rotary cutter. Another suggestion is, you can buy the fabrics already cut ready to sew. The jelly rolls are 2-1/2" wide by width of fabric and come with about 40-48 pieces. You can go to Youtube and see many illustrations by Jenny from Missouri Quilt Company. Some fabrics come cut into 5" squares, 10" squares, ready to sew. Hope you feel better and can enjoy quilting for years to come.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:33 PM

I like the Alto Quilt Cut. I do not have one but a friend does. It does clamp the fabric on one end and it does not seem like it needs excessive pressure to hold down the ruler and cut. There are angle pieces that come with it as well so you are not limited in your cutting sizes/shapes. I'd love to have one myself and keep my eyes open for a used system. But even at @ $200 new (I think that's about right), I don't feel it's too outrageous - just more than I care to spend since I don't really have issues cutting in a 'traditional' manner.

The other cutting systems seem, to me, to have a) limitations and b) consumables that end up continuing to cost $$ down the road beyond your initial investment. Just my opinion/impression.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

If you are wanting something to cut for you ....... I saw a demo for a machine where you created a PDF of what you wanted cut and then the machine printed/cut it out. I was quite impressed as it eliminated the need for cutting dies, which of course, you wold never have the right one! This would let you cut any shape, not just fancy stuff.

I am guessing it was a Brother or Janome brand. Sorry I can't help you more as to what machine it is. Maybe someone reading this thread can help.

Initially I thought it was pricey, but then got thinking IF I were using it often enough it really was not overly priced, in perspective to what we pay for our sewing machines. My other thought was that it was something that two or three friends should own together to make it more affordable.

In your case, it might be the solution to your cutting issues.

.................. on the other hand, maybe you could enlist your husband as your personal cutter!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

So you have difficulty holding down the ruler, but you're still okay with pressing on a rotary cutter? Seems to me you may eventually have problems with that too.

I have both the Stripology and June Tailor mats. The June Tailor mats work well for me with the Guidelines for Quilting strips underneath them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009DF9DLA/ . You still need to press down on the mats somewhat to keep them from slipping, but the strips make this very easy.

People either love or don't-love the Stripology ruler. I'm in the don't-love category. I would suggest trying a single June Tailor mat first, with the Guideline strips on it, to see if this kind of mat will work well for you, before investing in Stripology or other mats. All mats still require some pushing down to prevent slipping.

What I absolutely ***love***, that you haven't mentioned, are the Quilter's Slidelock rulers: http://www.quiltersslidelock.com/ . These might be rulers you could use, as (1) the wooden handle is really easy to push down on, and (2) the grippers that engage when you push down on the handle keep the ruler from slipping. I would recommend trying these before giving up on rulers altogether.

I have seen mixed reviews about the Alto. Personally, I think I would find it aggravating to use so this would be a last resort for me. It takes up quite a bit of space, I think. Some people love it, but others definitely do not. Are you a member of a local quilt guild? I'm thinking you might want to ask if someone in your guild has one you could try out.

Honestly, my recommendation would be the Accuquilt Go! Big electric. As Ragamuffin pointed out, you could sell your manual Go! to help finance the electric model. Plus, I'm hoping there might be some good Black Friday sales that include the electric. You could use all of your existing dies in the electric machine. Plus, this is the only option you mentioned that includes the possibility of applique. I use Go! dies to cut freezer paper for invisible machine applique. For a special project, it's possible to special order a die of your own design. I personally do not like to use the Go! strip dies; the June Tailor mats work better for me.

No one device is going to be perfect. For example, the Alto and the rulers you mentioned are suitable only for geometric designs. You still would need something else for applique. In my opinion, the Go! electric is your most versatile choice. In terms of the dies, I would buy dies only for your current project. That keeps yearly costs down. I have a stockpile of dies I haven't yet had time to use. Wish I would have simply invested in one project at a time.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:36 PM

I'm struggling with this same issue. I've been going back & forth since January between one of those printer-like cutting machines (Klic-N-Kut or Brother ScanNcut) that is great for applique, but not so good for piecing vs an Accuquilt that is awesome for piecing (albeit pricey) but more limited as far as applique. I currently use an Olfa ergonomic rotary cutter for cutting pieces & Gingher 5" knife edge scissors (which I send out for sharpening every 6-8 months) for cutting applique for needle turn.

For me, it's come down to that I just can't really get precision piecing with the rotary cutter, and needle turn doesn't really require such precision. So, for me, the Accuquilt is the better option. I'm looking to purchase a gently used model. Guild members & sometimes even sewing machine repair shops can be good places to look for barely-used cutting systems. I would love to have a KNK, too, but like you my space & funds are limited. If you do want a machine that's more suited for applique, I would encourage you to consider the KNK because you don't have to spend so much money buying applique designs since there are a lot of free ones available or you can scan your own in.

Good luck with your decision! Let us know what you end up with & how you like it.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:16 AM

I have difficulties with "traditional" cutting as well, and I've found for now with work schedule and limited sewing time that precuts are the way to go. greenfairyquilts.com has bulk jelly rolls, layer cakes, etc for reasonable prices. I've been very happy with their service. One of these days I might get myself an electric cutter but I don't have a sewing room so I'm not sure how I'd store it.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:16 AM

Since you have an Accuquilt you know how heavy it is. If you have a place for it permanently - the electric could work.

The Alto is as advertised, but if you can't leave it set up, it's heavier and bulkier than the Go to move around. I almost dropped one on my foot. I don't have room for it to be set up at all times.

The ruler type cutters could also be an answer - they don't weigh much to store and move.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I have the Alto 2 but don't care for it. I found it very limiting and awkward to use. I love my Go. The Go Big can use every die made for the Accuquilt Go. The Stripology and Shape cut rulers are nice but are still used like rulers, you have to hold them down on the fabric. I would recommend the Quilters Slide Lock because very little pressure has to be put on it to hold it in place. I use it on top of my ruler, some use it without the ruler. I found it holds better with less pressure using the ruler underneath. I do know that if I had to cut quilt shapes with scissors I would not be quilting.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have the Alto 2 but don't care for it. I found it very limiting and awkward to use. I love my Go. The Go Big can use every die made for the Accuquilt Go. The Stripology and Shape cut rulers are nice but are still used like rulers, you have to hold them down on the fabric. I would recommend the Quilters Slide Lock because very little pressure has to be put on it to hold it in place. I use it on top of my ruler, some use it without the ruler. I found it holds better with less pressure using the ruler underneath. I do know that if I had to cut quilt shapes with scissors I would not be quilting.
I'd second the slidelock. I have both. If I do need to use a ruler rather than the Accuquilt, they are a big help. Also not heavy.