Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Fabric Pricing Thoughts >

Need Fabric Pricing Thoughts

Need Fabric Pricing Thoughts

Old 02-17-2012, 07:03 PM

Default Need Fabric Pricing Thoughts

I have a fairly large stash of fabric. The time has come for me to downsize because of moving to a much smaller home. I live in a city of about 10,000 that has a very active Quilting Guild. I am thinking of having a one or two day sale. Does anyone have any thoughts about how much I should charge for a yard of fabric? Nearly all of my fabric is quilt shop quality. I want to get rid of it all but I don't want to give it away either. I also have tons of fat quarters that I would put in bundles of 6 or 8 in the same color family. I have a lot of scraps and was thinking of cutting them all into 1 1/2" strips to be used for Log Cabins or other strip quilts. Is this something you would buy? Any thoughts are very welcome!
Judith
Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 PM

Recently attended a quilt show where one of the vendors was a quilter who was downsizing. She had her fabric priced at $2.00 & $4.00 a yard. Very reasonable. Her FQ were $.75 and $1.00 each. 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" strips are always a good thing.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 PM

I would cut your scrap strips in the largest strip you can if you really think you want to cut them. Or just but the pieces of scraps into zip lock bags and put a price on them. Scrap bags are very popular. Its not really neccessary to cut them in order to sell them. People can always cut them down. Pre - priced bundles of yardage colors or coordinates would be efficent for you to sell.
As for pricing.... I'm inclinded to think $4.00 per yard is a fair price.... but do have a final hours discount to ensure you can sell as much as possible. It can be alot of work to sell off a stash .
Old 02-18-2012, 12:52 AM

Any moda? I'm always on the look out for some older lines I didn't buy enough of. Pm me if your interested. Good luck tho. I would say because of your community and your audience you could price st half the price of new there and sale it all. Your least favorite or if you have doubts about certain fabrics have a bargin bin. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 AM

I would also say $4.00 per yd, $1.00 per fat quarter and the scraps, brown bag them for $3.00 per bag. I wish you success in your sale.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 AM

I would buy bags of color coordinated fabric but wouldn't buy pre-cuts. I wouldn't pay as much as I pay for fabric on sale at LQS or with coupons at Hobby Lobby. At a yard sale I am buying in case I want to use it in the future, not because I am looking for a particular quilt in mind - therefore I won't pay nearly as much. I'm probably looking at a lot of it and thinking "Why would she have ever selected this print in the first place?" Individual taste are so different.

Last edited by TanyaL; 02-18-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:44 AM

I agree with the "bags" and let them cut their own as it would allow for more pattern selections. If you still want to cut yourself I would not cut smaller than 2 1/2 as so many call for that size. Have a great sale.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:45 AM

I have been to "quilter's Garage sales " where quilters sell their stash/ fabric for $1-2/ys or by the peice. By the piece is easier since you do not have to cut. Price by the piece at $2 x yardage. Pricing can depend why you want to get rid of the fabric- Make money or just get rid of stash. Another thought is to have "sale" as a guild money making project. Sell tables to any one for about $10-12 /table and give proceeds to guild. There are several groups in my area that have a "quilter's Garage Sale" and they are really fun and buyers can get books and fabric cheap. (Actually just passing your stash to mine). Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:04 AM

A sale is a good idea. I wouldn't cut anything--it is more work for you. $1.00 or $0.75 each for fat quarters sounds reasonable. Bundling them would be more efficient rather than selling them one at a time. $1.00 to $2.00 a yard is a good price for fabric, but I wouldn't cut anything. Selling on here is a good idea, but probably more work since you would have to mail everything. Good luck with your "sale".
Sue
Old 02-18-2012, 07:10 AM

I agree with Tanyal, might loose sales if you price at $4.00 per years at the first since with coupons you can find fabric at that price. I'd price at $3.00 to start and measure the yardage and price it at that length. If you have yardage of more then 2-3 yards cut it to that length and make two Do not offer to cut to specific lengths! Fat quarters around .75 and put them in bundles of 6 at $4.50 and the scrap bags as mentioned above.
I did the same thing at a Guild sale and it worked great and people bought more having having it bundled. Also most quilters done want more then 2-3 yards of one kind.
The last hour I reduced my prices to $2.00 a yard with fat quarters at $.50 each and split the bundles.
I also arranged the yardage by color or theme.
Sold just about everything and had more people at my table than the others who started too high and didn't realize that people buy by price points.