Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help adjusting pattern >

Need help adjusting pattern

Need help adjusting pattern

Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 AM

Default Need help adjusting pattern

I want to make a a quilt from a book and some of the pieces are cut using a measurement like 3 7/8" squares and 1 7/8 inch rectangles. I really do not want to cut using a "7/8" measurement.

Any suggestions as to how I can adjust those numbers? I would prefer to work in 3/4 or 1/2 inch increments.

Am I allowed to mention the name of the pattern book? Maybe it would be easier to imagine?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:36 AM

It sounds like these will be HST's, so I would just cut the squares 4" and 2" and trim to the size needed, which sounds like 3 1/2" and 1 1/2".
Old 02-03-2017, 05:47 AM

I would do the same as Pocoellie has suggested, I would always rather trim to correct size than deal with 7/8 and others just size up.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:25 AM

Do I get it that you both would cut larger and trim to size? Smaller pieces less error in cutting when you trim?

So, if the pattern wants you to cut the following:
1. Make white rectangles 1 7/8" x 4 3/4 "( cut 96 of these!)
2. Cut dark color fabric in 1 7/8" x 4 3/4".
3. Now sew a white rectangle on top and bottom of the dark rectangle. This makes another "square"
The pattern will require 48 of these blocks.

You would cut larger then trim off before you sew together?
uh, Pocoellie....what is HST mean ??
Old 02-03-2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by anne225 View Post
Do I get it that you both would cut larger and trim to size? Smaller pieces less error in cutting when you trim?

So, if the pattern wants you to cut the following:
1. Make white rectangles 1 7/8" x 4 3/4 "( cut 96 of these!)
2. Cut dark color fabric in 1 7/8" x 4 3/4".
3. Now sew a white rectangle on top and bottom of the dark rectangle. This makes another "square"
The pattern will require 48 of these blocks.

You would cut larger then trim off before you sew together?
uh, Pocoellie....what is HST mean ??
The instructions you show appear to be a strip set. Strip sets are specific to the pattern. Don't cut those bigger and then try to cut down. That typically would never work. If I may ask, what pattern are you making? It really does help us to know what look the pattern is trying to achieve. A web link would be helpful.

HST = half square triangle which is 2 different fabrics in one square and sewn on the diagonal from corner to corner. This is a good tutorial on HST's http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/20...v=7516fd43adaa

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 02-03-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:29 AM

The name of the book is Scrap Patchwork by Sandra Clemons. I tried to copy the pattern but it is copy proofed. Here is a link to the book cover. The pattern is the one shown on the cover. Those are the blocks that I am talking about.

https://goo.gl/images/M8JOHE
Old 02-03-2017, 07:36 AM

There are times with you do need to cut sizes like that (like doing a square in a square) and it's no different than cutting any other size.

With that pattern, it's important you have the center block the exact measurement. And the three strips that line up would need to be cut so they line up, though you could have the center different than the two outer stripes and that would probably look fine.

The outer setting triangles could all be cut larger (and I would so I could trim them down).
Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

on the pattern you linked to you will have to deal with the 7/8 or it won't fit together properly. Go buy a ruler that has the 1/8" marks or choose a different pattern.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:12 AM

The center square will determine what the other measurements are. I drew the block in EQ and it does show that the strips are going to be wonky 8th sizes. A different way to do this block would be to cut the strips going away from the center as a solid piece of the white. Then applique the center strip to the set. A bit more to do, but the wonky sizes go away. The white background would be the same width as the center block and you will determine what size the center strip would be rather than the pattern. Maybe a bit complicated if you are a beginner, but might be worth a try. FYI...I'm not good with 8ths either.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I would strip piece the entire quilt and not worry about precisely measuring and cutting individual pieces. I would start with 2" strips for the side squares. Sew a strip set of white-red-white strips together, press, measure width, and cut squares to that width measurement. I'd cut the middle squares the same size, then sew the middle strip together (striped square - solid square - striped square).

To add the background triangles, I would simply cut them over-sized for your blocks, sew them on, iron, then trim to size.

The above takes care of making the blocks. However, you still have an issue with getting the sashings to match. That would require some calculations. Basically, you would need to add a border to the blocks that would make them the correct size for the squares in the sashing to work out. At that point, you could post here and someone could help you work out the best size for the frame in order to get the black and white sashing to work out. You might need to do some odd strip widths in order to make the sashing work. Or, you could simplify the whole thing and make the sashings a solid. Or, you could make the sashings over-sized and add a frame size to the blocks to match the sashing.