Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Alto's Quiltcut 2 >

Need Help with Alto's Quiltcut 2

Need Help with Alto's Quiltcut 2

Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 PM

I just got the alto's used and I am having a little trouble with the ruler moving. It seems there is a little play from one end to the other when lining up the numbers.

It appears to me there is some movement in the area that sets on the groove...more on the metal one that the plastic one on the long end.

If I am making any sense at all- does anyone have this problem? I need to find a remedy, because my cuts are off sometimes.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 PM

I found with mine that more pressure was needed at the end of the guide away from the metal track. Mine really doesn't have any play at the track. I usually put the palm of my hand on the knob and fingers beyond on the guide. It takes some practice but once I figured it out, no more wasted fabric! Good luck!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM

I purchased a used one a couple of months ago - still have not set it up to try yet -
Old 05-30-2011, 07:43 PM

Dear Treasurit,
I was a rep for a few years, and some people complained of that. We're so used to being afraid of it slipping when we're doing it alone, that we start getting "cutting -shy".
If your mat is lined up, all you have to do is squre the top of your fabric, and use the speed guageto mark your cuts. Since the QC-2 is built like a drafting board, the accuracy is in the mechanics of the head & rail system.
So, insert your fabric under the clamp bar, close the clamps after lining up the edge of your fabric with a vertical line on the mat.The when you insert your cutting guide into the side railing, it will be square to the fabric. When I was teaching my daughter, she said"Yeah, but I can wiggle the far end!" Just a little exasperated, I said "Yeah, & I can put a pot holder in the freezer door & it won't freeze. Just don't doit!" Well, we made peace, and I hope you will,too, with your unit. Debbie
Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by star619
Dear Treasurit,
I was a rep for a few years, and some people complained of that. We're so used to being afraid of it slipping when we're doing it alone, that we start getting "cutting -shy".
If your mat is lined up, all you have to do is squre the top of your fabric, and use the speed guageto mark your cuts. Since the QC-2 is built like a drafting board, the accuracy is in the mechanics of the head & rail system.
So, insert your fabric under the clamp bar, close the clamps after lining up the edge of your fabric with a vertical line on the mat.The when you insert your cutting guide into the side railing, it will be square to the fabric. When I was teaching my daughter, she said"Yeah, but I can wiggle the far end!" Just a little exasperated, I said "Yeah, & I can put a pot holder in the freezer door & it won't freeze. Just don't doit!" Well, we made peace, and I hope you will,too, with your unit. Debbie
Thanks Debbie,

In theory I agree, but when I set the cutting guide in the rail and it is on a number at the bottom...it is not always perfectly lined on that number at the other end. I line it up, hold the knob, cut and if I am not careful it will move and the cut is off. Granted this hasn't been a huge amount, but in quilting 1/16- 1/8" is a lot.

I has thinking about trying to add a thin piece of felt or something inside the groove to make it a little more secure. But was really hoping there was a way to adjust it.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM

Perhaps you need to see if your mat is aligned correctly. It is adhered to the wooden board with double-stick tape. It can just peel right off - that's how you replace your mat if it becomes worn. (I always get my husband to help me with mine. ;-) ). You peel the mat off from one corner & rub the tape off the mat or board. Then, place the mat on the board & shift it around with your cutting guide on your side rail. Once you have it set like you want it. have a helper hold the mat still on opposite corners. Move the cutting guide to the rail at the bottom of the board, making sure that it is straight in that direction, also. If it is, remove the cutting guide, & with your helper still holding the matt in place, gently lift each free corner & put a new piece of tape in each free corner. Then, have helper hold taped sides down while you tape under the other corners. Let me know if that helps. I know how it is to have a piece of equipment that you're having issues with. Good luck! Debbie
Old 06-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Debbie,

Thanks for your help. I talked to Steve at Alto's today and he was very helpful with how to line up things and explained a lot to me on the phone. I am still working on this, but I am very impressed with the customer service!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:15 PM

That's great! Feel free to PM me if anything else comes causes any problems. It's a wonderful tool, and the speed & accuracy is impressive once you get used to it. I even use mine to cut the tops & bottoms of drapes before doing the headers and hems.
Thanks for writing & let me know how thigs progress.
Debbie
Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 PM

I used a long rotary ruler on edge to line up my mat when i replaced the mat. Kept things just perfect so the double stick tape was where it should be.

ali