Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help with applique >

need help with applique

need help with applique

Old 02-22-2008, 05:33 PM

I am attempting my first appliqued quilt, and I am having a heck of a time. I used Heat N Bond fusible web, and am trying to just do a simple zigzag stitch on the edges. My machine keeps skipping stitches, the upper thread breaks and the needle gets gummed up. I'm not sure if it's all related or not. I have tried different needle sizes, different thread, different machines, and it still keeps happening.
Right now my blocks look like crap and I'm ready to give up.
There must me an answer out there! Lots of people can do this and make it look good, so I know I can too, I just need help!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM

Everything you mentioned happened to me when I first started doing applique on the machine. I found different types of thread needed different tensions, so play around with that on some scraps. Some threads are will break faster-you have to have the right needles with the right thread, plus on some of my rayons I will put a netting around the thread to keep in from coming off the spool too fast.
I also found that putting a lightweight stabilizer on the back of the block really helped. Or even some batting. You can then cut away what isn't sewn down when you are done.
Oh, also on the fusible, I found that using the lightest weight possible did better than the heavier ones. Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

I know just what you are going though. I made my daughter a memory quilt with all her T shirts. I had gummed up needles and broken thread. Using a lighter weight fusible web would have helped. I'm learning as I go. My daughter loves the quilt. I call it the quilt from he**.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:37 PM

Not sure if it will help or not, but there is a product called "needle lube" that is suppose to help the needle slide much easier. Hope you find a solution. I love doing machine applique, but I hate this sort of difficulty.

M
Old 02-23-2008, 05:12 AM

Did you try different sizes in a topstitch or a jeans needle? Those might help to pierce through a tough stabilizer.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:27 AM

When I applique by machine I only use wonder under by Pellon. What you used gummed up my machine too. So I have have stuck with the wonder under and never had a problem. I never change the tension on my machine and use a #11 needle on my Janome. I also have a tear away stabalizer under the fabric I am stitching down. Hope this helps. Marge
Old 02-23-2008, 05:47 AM

I think your fusible product is to heavy ,I've had the same problem and changed to a lighter product
Hope this helps Wilma
Old 02-23-2008, 05:51 AM

Stephanie...just breathe!:))You can do this! I was scared to death w/applique too w/my machine and self taught myself. I think I checked out 50 books from the library only to be really confused as there are so many different ways!:))So, I picked out what interested me or I felt comfortable with and did it:)). If you were sitting here next to me, I'd tell you to go get one of your old acrylic soft brushes (w/o paint on it) and gently roll out the lint at your sewing machine light and down in the bobbin area...sounds to me that you might have a collection going on which breaks the threads:0). Then start up...if you are doing something like a fusible web on your fabric, ironing it on background then appliq. from there I agree w/some that you might be too thin and might need to put that tear-away stabilizer underneath your project to give thickness. Just go slow..start w/need down so you can lift your presser foot and move the direction of the fabric when going around points or curves. You can do this!:0)You will really enjoy this when you do it. One of my favorite ways to applique I picked up on the video at: www.allpeoplequilt.com I love the look in this idea! Keep us posted! Skeat
Old 02-23-2008, 05:52 AM

I use a water soluble glue stick, the kid kind, :D and paper or coffee filters on the back, works great.......i tried the iron on fusible, several kinds and had a mess :D
Old 02-27-2008, 05:16 AM

Hi, Heat & bond is way to heavy, I used it on some Mckenna Ryan, boy was I sorry, it "soaks" into the fabric fiber & makes it look crappy and very hard to stitch thru, gets the needle all gunky too. try something much lighter.