Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with binding for my Dragonfly wall hanging!

Need help with binding for my Dragonfly wall hanging!

I've just finished appliquéing this wall hanging and (of course) don't have enough of of the inner border to do a folded binding. It was only a FQ and I thought I'd be able to get another one easily......

Anyway - Plan a) Do a flanged binding with the inner in the green and the pink outer (not done one before) or;

Plan b) Cut the binding from the green at 1 1/2 sew to back, press 'hem' and fold over to the front. I've only done this way once before on a pocket and the corners weren't mitred.

Plan c) a different coloured border

Also, should I do some FMQ in the pink border?

Thank you for any help!

Name:  IMG_0570.JPG
Views: 1648
Size:  1.38 MB
    Lang may yer lum reek.

Do you have enough of the multi-colored fabric used in the center of the block? You could use that. I really like the flange idea though. You can look up online how to do one. The give a nice "extra" to your border.
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!

The wallhanging is beautiful! Personally, I'd use the pink so it blends, and I'd quilt around the border. The pink fabric is especially lovely.

I really like the idea of the multi colored fabric. This wall hanging is so beautiful!!! Love this as a future project!

Because your fabrics are all strongly patterned, I think you could get away with another batik in a pink or a dark if you wanted. I would just make a standard binding sewn to the front, folded to the back and handsewn. Oh - I forgot to say that your hanging is beautiful. Love the dragonflies.
    Last edited by ArtsyOne; 03-20-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    I like alleyoop1's idea and option B. All in pink would not look framed to me.

As for the quilting, I'd say keep it consistent. I just saw a wallhanging at a show where one part was quilted densely and the other very loosely. It had a wavy border and hung very poorly. So a lot depends on what you plan for the center.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Power Poster
    First let me say, That's gorgeous! I really like the flanged border that Charisma posted. I think it would look really pretty with the pink as the binding and that off white as the flange but whatever you decide, it will be lovely. Is it needle turn appliqué and can you share the pattern name?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    First let me say, That's gorgeous! I really like the flanged border that Charisma posted. I think it would look really pretty with the pink as the binding and that off white as the flange but whatever you decide, it will be lovely. Is it needle turn appliqué and can you share the pattern name?
    Thanks Tartan. It's raw edge machine appliqué. I don't hand sew at all I'm afraid - takes me all my time to sew the back of my quilt bindings . I did the hanging at a class, but the instructor did say it was from a commercial pattern. I'll try and find out.
    Lang may yer lum reek.

Blog Entries
    That is really lovely. How about the cream for the binding?
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of cream for the flange, and then alternating the green, the cream and the multi for the border. Please share where the pattern came from. Would be fantastic for pillows on a young girl's bed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast