Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with a border on quilters cache. >

Need help with a border on quilters cache.

Need help with a border on quilters cache.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM

Default Need help with a border on quilters cache.

Has anyone made the curling ribbon border that is shown on quilterscache.com? It is with the instructions for the Pyramids. It shows how to make the curling ribbon border from the pyramid block. Then is says "Here's an idea for the corner of a curling ribbon border" but it doesn't give instructions on how to make it. I have cut my half squre triangle at 4 7/8. The quarter square triangles at 5 1/4. How do I get the corners to look like their idea? Thanks for the help. I wish I knew how to figure this out.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:43 PM

The directions ARE on that page when you click on the Pyramids borders. Picture shown on the left, directions under the second Example paragraph. Just make and turn the pyramid border blocks around every other one.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

The HST formed by the two red triangles in the corner block is 2" finished. I would cut squares from each fabric at 3", sew together to form 2 HST's, and trim to 2.5" unfinished. The white triangles that are on either side of the HST are the same size, so you can make two from a square that measures 2 7/8" (or cut at 3", and trim after sewing).. The larger white triangle is half of an HST that finishes at 4", so you can cut two from a square that measures 4 7/8" (or larger, then trim).

I think there are also some pretty slick ways to make this unit two at a time, but my head hurts when I try to remember what they are.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

When working with an intricate border, I always include a "cheater" border between the body of the quilt and the pieced border. I can cut the border down if needed to make the pieced border fit perfectly.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the info. NanaCsews2--I do not see the directions for the corners. They are different that just turning the blocks around on the borders only. Turning them does work for the rest of the border though. If you look closely, he color combination is different in the corners. But thanks for trying for me.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The HST formed by the two red triangles in the corner block is 2" finished. I would cut squares from each fabric at 3", sew together to form 2 HST's, and trim to 2.5" unfinished. The white triangles that are on either side of the HST are the same size, so you can make two from a square that measures 2 7/8" (or cut at 3", and trim after sewing).. The larger white triangle is half of an HST that finishes at 4", so you can cut two from a square that measures 4 7/8" (or larger, then trim).

I think there are also some pretty slick ways to make this unit two at a time, but my head hurts when I try to remember what they are.
Thanks dunster this is what I did as well and sustraley had messaged me how I did it and yours looks close to what I did. But your directions are better and measurements more precise
Old 01-07-2014, 04:22 AM

I appreciate both directions. Thanks dunster and frustrated.