Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help Choosing Fabric Please >

Need Help Choosing Fabric Please

Need Help Choosing Fabric Please

Old 06-16-2014, 11:41 AM

Default Need Help Choosing Fabric Please

I am making my daughter a rag quilt and need help choosing the accompanying fabric. I will post a picture of the focal fabric below. My daughter has requested teal, purple, a little black and cheetah print (I was thinking I could do the border in cheetah print. Thanks so much!!
Attached Thumbnails shoes2.jpg   shoes.jpg  
Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Cool, my DD would love this fabric, I think if your daughter requested the colors I would use the ones she wants, this is going to be a nice quilt. Please post when you finish or even before you finish!!! I love updates as folks go along on a project!!!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 AM

Thanks quilts4charity! I will post when I'm done. I'm nervous cuz I have no idea what fabrics to get as far as pattern, print. I know I need solids as well. I'm thinking 4 additional fabrics. I plan to do a 9 X 11, 10" square. I at least have my pattern drawn out which was driving me crazy as I wasn't sure how I should do it - but I think I got it, although the more I think about the more I doubt myself. hahaha
Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

cheetah? or did she mean zebra?

Cheetah is sort of goldish -orangish tan and black
Zebra is black and white

What is the scale of the shoe prints?

If you use cut 10 inch squares, and use 1/2 inch seams, your quilt will be approximately 81 x 99 finished size.

Do you plan for this to be a bed quilt? If so, what size bed? or do you plan for this to be a couch/throw quilt?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:21 PM

What fun fabric. Don't we all just love shoes. Your daughter is going to love whatever you do. I'd add a green too, seems that almost always, a hint of green in a quilt works to enhance all colors--it either pops them or calms them depending on the shade of green.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:36 PM

bearisgray, she meant cheetah (like the shoe in the lower, right-hand corner). She doesn't like zebra print. The shoes are approximately 6" (that isn't exact, I can measure when I get home). She has a full size bed but will be using this for a throw.

jo, thanks! She loves shoes and I was so excited to find this panel (from someone here!)! I'll check out some green too.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:55 PM

I'd want to add zebra since that shoe is so bold, so many of the shoes have ankle straps, I'd look for a circular print, maybe black with the teal &/or purple. And maybe a squiggly line print. No solids for me--instead use tone on tone with geometric designs.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Thanks GrannieAnnie that definitely helps!I would love zebra but my daughter pretty much hates zebra print

Old 06-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I completely missed seeing the cheetah print on the shoe in the lower right corner.

I mostly saw red and dark against white. Had to look carefully to "see" the the teal and purple.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I have made a lot of rag quilts. I would simply fussy cut the squares so that each one had a shoe in it. If that would make the square too small, remember, rag quilts don't have to be done in squares. You can do them in rectangles so you would have 2 shoes in it or larger squares with 4 shoes in it. It is difficult to determine the size of the print from the picture. Then alternate the colors in the shoes, teal, purple, hot pink, zebra stripe every other one. I think it will turn out great. Except for the zebra stripe, I would use solids or batiks/blender fabrics. Looking forward to seeing this great quilt.