Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help choosing a machine >

Need help choosing a machine

Need help choosing a machine

Old 03-07-2017, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I agree completely, I used to sell new Singer and Viking machines. Unfortunately the new Singer machines are just not up to par. The Vikings are much better machines. I have antique Singers and they are wonderful.
I agree with the Viking, they are great machines.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:12 AM

I agree with most of the others...stay away from Singer's.....not good machines. Your best bet is probably going to a dealer who sells refurbished machines and getting a pre-owned quality machine. If we knew where you live we might be able to suggest a reliable shop. I love my Janome and slightly vintage Pfaff's. Bernina's are good but pricey.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-07-2017, 01:16 PM

What a sweet gift. I am completely sold on my Janome machines. I choose to only buy mechanical because I don't have to have multiple bells and whistles that I won't use. The Janome is very well made and very moderately priced but a real workhorse. I got my first one 25 years ago and it's still working like a little gem. Very low maintenance and sews any weight I've needed. It has a needle threader, double needle capacity, needle down capabilities, and numerous stitches. I know many prefer the electronic but for me the mechanical has fewer chances of needed repairs...in my opinion. It also has every foot for quilting and applique, etc. I really don't have any complaints about them at all. Love them.

Last edited by Quiltlady330; 03-07-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:34 PM

I agree with profannie that the Juki is a great choice for quilters. Mine is the TL2010Q and I love it-really love it. I also have a computerized high-end Janome MC14000 that I use for a lot of things. If she has never had a computerized machine, she may dream of all the features and might not be happy with a straight-stitch machine--no matter how good and reliable it is. There is an opportunity cost in selecting a machine. Why not communicate with this lovely and practical woman and help her get a practical machine now with the full intention of getting her the high-end machine later on?
Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 PM

You're giving the best gift an avid quilter could ask for: a machine upgrade. Kudoes to you. I think you could compromise on the surprise by taking her to a dealer without telling her in advance. (Just pack a few scraps of various types of fabric in about 8" squares--quilting cotton, denim, some slippery material --just in case the dealer only has one kind of tester squares). Put that bag in the glove box or trunk secretly. Make sure you iron them first . Then take her to a Janome dealer. She will know you mean business if you have planned the details thus far. Grab her hand and the scraps , go in and ask to see machines in your price range. My advice is to get the largest harp space you can afford (harp is also called throat-- the distance from the right of needle to the body. The more space, the bigger quilt she can push through and roll up as she quilts it. She should feel comfortable with the dealer personally, not rushed, free to ask any question, not pushed into a high end machine. She will develop a long term working relationship with the dealer so it's imperative she likes her and trusts her/him. You can always walk away and not feel pressured just because you bought a gift card to use there.

The surprise is the shopping trip. The gift is your cash at point of sale! Win/win.,

Or she may want to stick with what she likes--Brother-- and get an upgrade. A good machine will last a loooing time ifwell maintained. You are truly investing in her happiness! Three of my favorite gifts EVER have been machines that I chose with my hubby's blessing!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
You're giving the best gift an avid quilter could ask for: a machine upgrade. Kudoes to you. I think you could compromise on the surprise by taking her to a dealer without telling her in advance. (Just pack a few scraps of various types of fabric in about 8" squares--quilting cotton, denim, some slippery material --just in case the dealer only has one kind of tester squares). Put that bag in the glove box or trunk secretly. Make sure you iron them first . Then take her to a Janome dealer. She will know you mean business if you have planned the details thus far. Grab her hand and the scraps , go in and ask to see machines in your price range. My advice is to get the largest harp space you can afford (harp is also called throat-- the distance from the right of needle to the body. The more space, the bigger quilt she can push through and roll up as she quilts it. She should feel comfortable with the dealer personally, not rushed, free to ask any question, not pushed into a high end machine. She will develop a long term working relationship with the dealer so it's imperative she likes her and trusts her/him. You can always walk away and not feel pressured just because you bought a gift card to use there.

The surprise is the shopping trip. The gift is your cash at point of sale! Win/win.,

Or she may want to stick with what she likes--Brother-- and get an upgrade. A good machine will last a loooing time ifwell maintained. You are truly investing in her happiness! Three of my favorite gifts EVER have been machines that I chose with my hubby's blessing!
What a great suggestion! I love the idea of taking sample pieces (and hiding them) for a surprise visit to a dealer. Perhaps if the OP gives us an idea of what state they are in we could even make some suggestions/recommendations for dealers close to them.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:21 AM

Definitely let her help pick it out. Machines are very personal. She'll still be super excited.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:08 AM

First: you're a keeper! What a sweetie she's picked out! Second: I recommend Janomes, they have an excellent machine at many price ranges, I have an HD3000 and it's a fantastic mechanical machine. I also have a Juki 2010 which is a super sturdy mechanical straight stitcher, I LOVE it. If she's a Brother person, there's a Brother 1500 that's like the Juki and it has great reviews. Third: call a dealer in your area and see if they can work something out with you, I was at a Brother dealer one day with a friend and we saw a guy surprise his wife with a new machine, apparently he'd called ahead and talked to the dealer and she thought they were just looking..it was very thoughtful and she was thrilled. I will say, my better half does photography and I could never pick out a camera for him cause it's not my "thing" so take that into consideration, it's like buying a car for someone, can be very tricky.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:14 AM

How about getting her a gift certificate for a new machine? I know you mean well, but you don't want to stick her with a machine she doesn't really like that well but won't say so because it was a gift, do you? I know for a fact, my husband would never pick the same machine for me that I picked for myself. He looks for different things in a machine than I do.

I agree with Austinite. It's very much like buying a car for someone else who is driving afficionado. Everyone has different things they want. And different cars fit different people. My husband thought that I was going to hate the car I bought (and possibly kill myself), but 6 years later I still love that car and I'm still alive

Last edited by cashs_mom; 03-09-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:40 PM

I'm in the gift card camp. That way the money's already spent and she can't argue with you about it, and she can pick out which machine suits her needs best.

I own 7 machines and the Brother 1500s is my favorite. I bought it used for $400.

To be honest, I don't know why I keep the other 6 machines around. If something happens to my 1500s, I wouldn't look twice at the other machines. I'd go buy another 1500s.