Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help choosing a machine >

Need help choosing a machine

Need help choosing a machine

Old 03-09-2017, 02:01 PM

I've bought machines with features that I thought I'd never use. With time I discovered how wonderful they were. I think you need to go to other sewing machines stores than Joann's so you get a better idea of what's available. If I were given a gift card, I'd fuss about how much money you spent. If I got a sewing machine, I'd jump for joy. Decide on your budget and don't over spend. You can go online and see the various machines. She probably would use a moderate machine that would become her new workhorse. Some features that I never had on my first machine, a Singer, but now enjoy on my newer machines is a needled up/down button, having a good light that shines on where I'm stitching, and having a bit more room in the harp, a selection of feet that includes a 1/4" quilting foot, portable (if I can't lift it, I don't buy it), and a start/stop button on the front of the machine. But just ask her what she likes most about the machine she's using and make sure the new one has those features.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:34 PM

I'll toss another comment in here as well. When I bought my Viking ages ago, DH was with me. He had planned to buy the machine for me. Thankfully, he did not! He would have purchased a machine far more expensive and not what I wanted. He's a sweetie and a keeper (most days!) but I hesitate to ever tell him I like something. OMG! His response is to go way overboard most times. I'm very happy he did not buy the machine he was looking at and I walked out with what I did.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:28 AM

I strongly advise the OP NOT to buy a straight stitch only machine. It's the rare sewer who never needs any other stitch, and there are much better choices.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
I strongly advise the OP NOT to buy a straight stitch only machine. It's the rare sewer who never needs any other stitch, and there are much better choices.
This is not bad advice. I am a quilter and 90% of the time I use a straight stitch, but there are times when I need a zigzag or a buttonhole for applique.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by pjl63 View Post
Hi everyone.

My girlfriend is an avid quilter and she's been using a rudimentary Brother mechanical sewing machine that was owned by her grandmother. She occasionally uses her mother's newer Singer Confidence Quilter machine and seems to like it much more.

We recently bought a house together and I want to buy her a new sewing machine as a housewarming present and a "thank you" for all the things she's done for me over the past year. I can't take her to the store and have her try different machines out because she would definitely yell at me for even considering buying her a new machine (even though I know she wants one…she’s the practical type). Through internet research, I’ve been considering a Singer Quantum or a Husqvarna/Viking Opal 650 (I would love to get her the H/V Sapphire with the sale going on this month, but it’s just out of my price range).

I'm completely ignorant about the realm of sewing, so any insight/advice, or other suggestions to consider, would be greatly appreciated.
Picking out a machine for someone is similar to buying a car for someone else...not usually a good idea. We all have our own ideas about what makes a good machine, so my suggestion is some kind of prepaid visa card so she can go where she wants to purchase....lots suggest sewing dealers but that may not be her comfort area either.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:26 AM
mkc

AnnaLucius' post above is spam - reported. Do not click on the link.