Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with choosing thread....

Need help with choosing thread....

I'm going to start another GFG. This one is going to be with bright solids and a soft gray path. Going for a little more modern look. My challenge is what kind of thread to use. In the past my GFG's have been with prints so it hides any thread stitches that might show on the seams, with solids it is going to be trickier. I don't want to buy a million different colors so that I color coordinate with each flower, but I also want to minimize thread show thru.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a strong thin thread? I was wondering if silk would be a good idea in a muted neutral color. I'm pretty good at the hand sewing so there won't be a lot of issues, but when I put the hexi's together every once in a while a stitch might show a bit.

Another Grandmother's Flower Garden? Wow, that is amazing. Do you use a ladder stitch to put the hexi's together? If the stitch shows up only only in a while, I wouldn't worry about it. All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by cowpie2 View Post
    I'm going to start another GFG. This one is going to be with bright solids and a soft gray path. Going for a little more modern look. My challenge is what kind of thread to use. In the past my GFG's have been with prints so it hides any thread stitches that might show on the seams, with solids it is going to be trickier. I don't want to buy a million different colors so that I color coordinate with each flower, but I also want to minimize thread show thru.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a strong thin thread? I was wondering if silk would be a good idea in a muted neutral color. I'm pretty good at the hand sewing so there won't be a lot of issues, but when I put the hexi's together every once in a while a stitch might show a bit.
    i use ladder stitch for applique, anything that i don't want the tread to show. it's how i was taught by grmother. she called it hidden stitch. use either term ..lots of video/photographic tutes on net
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Power Poster
    I think gray silk thread may be a good choice?

Blog Entries
    i use a pale beige silk thread for my appliques. it should also work for GFG
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    I like to use pale gray or beige Bottom Line. It's very fine and very strong and sinks beautifully into the fabric. I've used rust colored thread on bright red applique and you can't see it.

Also highly recommend the ladder stitch over whip stitch.

Name:  LADDER-STITCH-1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  13.1 KB

I used the ladder stitch on these diamonds:
    Name:  ladder stitch.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  198.0 KB

Look at the colors you are using and pick a color thread that coordinates with as many of them as possible. If i use lots of blues and greens a teal coordinates nicely. If its lots of reds, pinks, yellows, oranges, then a peachy tone works well. If its reds, pinks, purples, blues, then some shade of purple would likely work.
    Then when you are attaching the background I would go on and use thread to match the background.
    This way you are only using two or three different threads and still don't have to worry about undue thread visibility.