Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with circles >

Need help with circles

Need help with circles

Old 04-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Three things have helped me a lot when doing appliqué circles: 1. Using a circle cut ruler to cut the circles. 2. Using a good stabilizer to help them hold their shape, there's lots of bias which makes them easy to distort. I apply the stabilizer before I cut the fabric. 3. Using a circle sewing attachment on my machine to help make sure I'm sewing a round circle--I use Nancy Zieman's since there isn't one made specifically for any of my machines.

Rob
Old 04-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
As you can see I need help, this is the 2nd time I have tried to incorporate circles in my design. Any ideas ? This is the quilt, I am tired of just squares, wanted circles to break it up.
Here's an old tutorial for inset circles you might want to check out. http://videos.hgtv.com/video/how-to-...t-blocks-62279
Old 04-12-2016, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
Are you using a stabilizer when attaching the circles? You can use paper then tear it off after you sew. I use paper when I don't have any stabilizer around.

Stabilizer will help with the puckering big time. I use a sewable tear-away, you just pin it on the back side of your fabric where you are piecing your circle, then tear it after you have stitched your circle in place.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
When I do circles I piece them in. Using a marking pen,I draw a circle on the backing AND on my material the same size. I cut out the top material piece 1/4" bigger. I score the line and press it into the finished circle. On the backing. I cut it out a 1/4"smaller. Using glue stick. I tack the pressed circle over the "hole" using the line as a guide. Then I flip it to the back side and stitch on the pressed line. Try it! Perfect set in circles.
These are the only pictures I have to illustrate this. The first is the material that becomes the circle and the second photo shows the perfect circle sewn in. The circle is about 4 " dia.
I believe this is called "Piecelique" the method Sharon Schamber teaches. Works great with any shape!
Old 04-12-2016, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

You can make the Drunkard's Path block for the circle.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
Here's an old tutorial for inset circles you might want to check out. http://videos.hgtv.com/video/how-to-...t-blocks-62279
This is also how I do my larger circles, except I top stitch it. I think it is also called reverse applique.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547633[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 102_0843.jpg  
Old 04-12-2016, 06:59 AM

You can use a piece if thin cardboard or some template material a quarter inch smaller than the circle you are using and press the edges around on them before applique.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:47 AM

I use iron-on light interfacing to make nice circles. Draw your circles on the smooth side of interfacing, do not cut out, just rough cut the circle out, leaving at least a one inch? margin to hold onto as I stitch. place bumpy (wrong side) to the right side of fabric. I pin together in the center, then stitch all around the circle overlapping stitching at beginning and end. Cut out 1/8- 1/4" on the outside of the circle. Make a small slit in the interfacing only, and turn right side out. Finger press edges smooth. Now you can cut out the center of the interfacing if you want leaving at least 1/2" of the interfacing. Press in place, then hand or machine stitch the circle or any shape in place. I got this method from Eleanor Burns years ago.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM

I use the method mentioned by Jan and it works just fine for me.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I will Try all the methods and and see which one is easier for me. I do know now I was doing it all wrong.