Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with color choices

I was visiting my Grandmother yesterday and she had asked if I had ever made a wedding ring quilt. I told her no but would love to. She looked at me and you could tell she was remembering something and then she said her grandmother made one and and it was beautiful. I would love to make my grandma this quilt. I will make it a lap quilt because the last quilt she uses as a piece of art (which i love because only she is allowed to touch :) So here is my problem. Her house is WHITE all white with a touch of color here and there. She changes her colors like we change our underwear :lol: She has some neutral tones I have never seen this quilt in neutral tones what would you suggest?

np3
    Blog Entries
    How about pale prints, less intense but with color. This pattern is on my list of "to do" and I will use less intense colors. I have a lot of white walls too and change accent colors often!!!

Soft, pale tones would be my suggestion too. Pinks, greens, blues, either yellows or beiges . . . on a solid white background. These are the colors I think of when I think traditional wedding ring quilt. Great thing about this pattern is that there is opportunity to use many colors in the rings. Best of luck!

I have seen the double wedding ring in neutral tones. It was beautiful. The background was the lightest fabric but the wedding rings were more beige and tans, each with a print in them all in neutrals but not tone on tone. I think it took a long time to find the right fabrics but it was worth the work. It was a beautiful quilt and one you could use anywhere.

I agree with sew connie....mixed colors with solid white...that way it would "go" with all the changing of colors you mentioned that she does.
    Look at connie's avatar for inspiration.

Blog Entries
    white background, and then colors for the rings. Does DGM use pale colors or brights for her accents? I would choose many different fabrics for the rings :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119
    I have seen the double wedding ring in neutral tones. It was beautiful. The background was the lightest fabric but the wedding rings were more beige and tans, each with a print in them all in neutrals but not tone on tone. I think it took a long time to find the right fabrics but it was worth the work. It was a beautiful quilt and one you could use anywhere.
    I've seen it somewhere too and it was beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by sew cornie
    Soft, pale tones would be my suggestion too. Pinks, greens, blues, either yellows or beiges . . . on a solid white background. These are the colors I think of when I think traditional wedding ring quilt. Great thing about this pattern is that there is opportunity to use many colors in the rings. Best of luck!
    Yes, pastels would be lovely.

What about using some repro. 30's fabrics in the lighter tones?

I too would go with the soft, pale tones. I bet it will be beautiful when done. Can't wait for a pic of this one. I am wanting to try making the wedding ring pattern myself. Next year I think I will try it..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast