Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need HELP with cutting block sizes >

Need HELP with cutting block sizes

Need HELP with cutting block sizes

Old 07-03-2009, 08:40 AM

breeeeeeeathee..... Okay... I'm gonna be okay Ninnie!! :) I just got back from lunch, so I got some extra fuel in my tank and some fresh air in the lungs, so I'm good to go for another 1 1/2 hours til it's the end of the work day! wooo hoo!!

I'll have to check out your cabin!!! I would love to get away for a bit!

Cheers
Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Try this link...

http://www.waukinvnetcorp.com/myquiltgenie/index.php
Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

One thing that I do to avoid the math (gives me the nightmare willy's like in High School) Is to cut the shapes out of paper first. Then I crease my 1/4 inch seams and glue stick it all together to make sure it is a good fit... :wink:
Old 07-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
One thing that I do to avoid the math (gives me the nightmare willy's like in High School) Is to cut the shapes out of paper first. Then I crease my 1/4 inch seams and glue stick it all together to make sure it is a good fit... :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No wonder I love you so much! I would never have thought of that in a million years! Glue and I do not get along :oops: :oops: Been known to glue things together that didn't belong that away! Am writing that down in my quilting journal for future reference! :roll: :wink:
Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

If you are trying to do what I think you are trying to do -

HST triangles work out better for that than QST because then you get a straight grain edge on the outside

Maybe you could post a drawing of what you are trying to do?

I sometimes have trouble visualizing what someone is describing - what I'm picturing in my head isn't matching what is in the other person's head -
Old 07-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Aggi, is this the look that you are trying to get, one of these blocks?
[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uAI_9RibNE...0/IMG_0164.JPG[/img]
Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 AM

Try this Aggi.

If you are sewing the bias edge of the QST (a short side) to the inner square, the length of the side of the square should be equal to the length of the triangle edge minus .875 plus .5

If you are sewing the straight of grain edge of the QST (the long side) to the inner square, the length of the side of the square should be equal to the length of the triangle edge minus 1.25 plus .5

You take the triangle side length, subtract the triangle seam allowances, and add the square seam allowances. Make sense? The only difference is the angles of the triangle that hit the edge of the square. (there's .25 for a 90º angle and .625 for a 45º angle seam allowances)

I get 10.94 for the side of the center square with the bias edge option which is confirmed by working backwards through the usual formula for setting triangles (Finished Block Size x 1.414 = Finished Diagonal + 1.25 = Size of Square to Cut). Don't know how you get 15.875 when the edge of your QST is only 11.3137...unless I totally misread something along the line. :oops:

Old 07-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

What size finished component do you want?

It might be easier to start with that -

Something else that you might do - mark off the sewing line on the long edge of the triangle- is that the side that's to go on the inside square?

Measure the stitching line - I'm guessing it will be somewhere around 14.5 inches -

Cut a square that is the stitching line plus 1/2 inch for the seam allowances.

When you sew the triangles on, there will be "ears" sticking out -
Old 07-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Cut a square that is the stitching line plus 1/2 inch for the seam allowances.
That's exactly what I said. :D Just gave her a way to get the length of the triangle's stitching line by measuring the raw edge.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
Amma, your such a mind reader...that is what I do!!! GMTA!
But Andrea, I will tell you...we are suckers for punishment, huh?
I'm sure this way is not as easy as following a pattern, but for some reason, I have to mess and gaum with everything. I can't just take it, AS IS...I have my own ideas for my fabrics.
Maybe if I bought a pattern FIRST, then bought the fabrics for it,...but no...I get what I like, then start doodling designs! :wink:
It will work out for you, eventually, but I understand the quilty, butting in on your work day. Can't just leave our heart at home :D