Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Cutting Strips >

Need Help with Cutting Strips

Need Help with Cutting Strips

Old 03-08-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by janedennis
There is a new ruler out made just for strips and I bought one at Walmart and I love it, my strips are much straighter. It is an acrlyic with precut slits in the square every 1/2 inch and it is about 18 inches wide by about 18 inches long, you lay it on your fabric after you iron and set it up and then cut every so many inches depending on your width of strips you require so you make around 4 or 5 sets at a time. It is a time saver also.
This ruler is great! I picked up one at Wal-Mart this weekend and it helps tremendously. It doesn't slide near as much as the other rulers. I am going to try the sand paper with it and see how that works

Thanks a bunch for telling me about this.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM

Nancy, how is it going with the strip cutting? any better?! hope so! just checking on ya! Kim
Old 03-18-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Nancy, how is it going with the strip cutting? any better?! hope so! just checking on ya! Kim
The strip cutting is going great. The ruler made a huge difference. I can't believe I didn't find it before. I even used it the other day to make some triangles.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 AM

Yippee! i love hearing the learning is going great and your comfortable with your cutting now!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 AM

At a workshop I attended, the teacher gave us each a 2 inch square of rubber kitchen shelf liner. It looks like a waffle. You just place it under your ruler and nothing moves.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Thats a great tip..to those of us that learned to use the mat for measuring and cutting.
but truthfully,. i feel the best method of measuring and cutting, is to rely on the rulers, not the mat.
i wish i had been taught that way, i first noticed Alex Anderson using the ruler..and i was amazed.and swore i would relearn..
(that way i can use the back of the mat when it wears out!)

habits are hard to break, but when i am showing someone new how to cut, i show them the ruler method, and not to rely on the mat.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 AM

Is that the JT ruler you're using? I have one...unused,but the newer ones
look to be rectangular shape.Mine is a square.Is there a difference in how they work? Pat Ce

The strip cutting is going great. The ruler made a huge difference. I can't believe I didn't find it before. I even used it the other day to make some triangles.[/quote]
Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 AM

I use a 2" alligator clip and clip the bottom of my ruler to my cutting table. The clip holds the ruler securely and I only have to worry about holding down the top of the ruler. It works great.

How do I post a question here? I'm new to the board and haven't quite figured out how to do this.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

If this has been mentioned, I missed it.

How the fabric is folded is very important - especially if folded more than once. Make sure that the fabric is folded evenly and the edges are evenly aligned.

Make sure that the ruler/cutting lines is/are perpendicular to the folded edge.

If using an "ordinary ruler", you may need to make "straightening/realigning" cuts every so often.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:35 AM

I also have my baby finger on to the table and off the ruler when I hold the ruler down. I think it gives me a bit more stability that my ruler will not slide.