Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help d9p

wanting to make 2 baby quilts using the d9p cause I hear it is so easy. I have the focus fabric for the middle square, and two other fabrics for the rest. I want to strip piece, as I hear that is easiest, and I have an accuquilt so I know it will be cut right. I just haven't done this before. I just spent 20 minutes trying to find a tutorial on here, and wasn't successful. Is there one I missed? Is there a how to in a certain book? help! Thanks! Virginia

Just remember, your focus fabric will be in the 4 corners of the 9 patch, not in the middle!

Be sure and post a picture of the quilt as you work on it.
    I'm sure that you'll do fine.

The middle square is usually where you would put a contrasting fabric. Focal fabric goes in the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    That uses precut squares. Isn't there a way to do it with strips? If I try to cut out that many squares, its gonna be a disaster. I keep hearing how easy it is. Maybe my idea of easy isn't the right one... Virg

Quote Originally Posted by virgwid
    wanting to make 2 baby quilts using the d9p cause I hear it is so easy. I have the focus fabric for the middle square, and two other fabrics for the rest. I want to strip piece, as I hear that is easiest, and I have an accuquilt so I know it will be cut right. I just haven't done this before. I just spent 20 minutes trying to find a tutorial on here, and wasn't successful. Is there one I missed? Is there a how to in a certain book? help! Thanks! Virginia
    The middle square is going to be cut into 4 little squares. Use your focus fabric for the four outside corners.

Quote Originally Posted by virgwid
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    That uses precut squares. Isn't there a way to do it with strips? If I try to cut out that many squares, its gonna be a disaster. I keep hearing how easy it is. Maybe my idea of easy isn't the right one... Virg
    Sure, you can cut strips. Make several of the focus (will be in the corners, a mid-range whatever, and another focus. When cut into the squares strips that will be your top and bottom 3-square-strip. Make another set of strips---------your midrange, your center contrast, and another midrange. This wil always be your middle 3 square row.

Don't make your original squares too little.

sorry, duplicate

I always use the strip method to make 9 patches. Much faster & easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast