Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help deciding on quilting a large top. >

need help deciding on quilting a large top.

need help deciding on quilting a large top.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM

Default need help deciding on quilting a large top.

I have made a 104 x 104 top to cover my king mattress. It will be tucked in as it is on a platform bed. It is made of batiks in all colors. I used a double cut layer cake pattern. I want it to be puffy and look more like a comforter so do I tie it or quilt a design.....I thought if I quilt design it should be curvy as it is very geometric in looks. I used a polyester thick batting to get the loft and the package says to quilt 2 to 4 inches apart. I have a sweet sixteen machine I free motion quilt on. I am much better sewing small designs that large stipleing (sp). HELP! Thanks ahead of time as I know there will be someone with better ideas than mine....
Old 09-01-2012, 04:46 PM

For what my opinion is worth, I'd rather quilt it. A curvy design on batik will be beautiful. To tie a quilt made with batiks would be too much work. Sometimes batiks don't let the needle go through if I'm making sense.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:47 PM

Can you use paper pantographs with this system? Digitech designs will create you paper patterns of any of their designs.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 PM

I would think some large feathers or an openly spaced vine with leaves might work. I did some really "open" feathers on a fluffy quilt awhile back...you can take a look at it here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ne-t97287.html
Old 09-01-2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Can you use paper pantographs with this system? Digitech designs will create you paper patterns of any of their designs.
Nope. This machine you just push the fabric through. I've done large quilts on the last being quilted with a large pic of cat face and corner blocks had a tiny mouse. The problems is I want it to stay fluffy more like a comforter. So no close quilting.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
For what my opinion is worth, I'd rather quilt it. A curvy design on batik will be beautiful. To tie a quilt made with batiks would be too much work. Sometimes batiks don't let the needle go through if I'm making sense.
I have been playing around with the thought of simple daisy in assort. sizes and using vines with leaves for filler between daisies. The backing is a batik look cotton done in purple. (not close woven as batiks) looks more like you spilled the dye and tried to rinse it off. I do want to flip the quilt occas. and show the back so it must look good also.