Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help For Fast Projects! >

Need Help For Fast Projects!

Need Help For Fast Projects!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 AM

I usually go Florida for the winter (my original home) and just found out I have to go back to Michigan for Christmas. My husband and I have 5 children and 10 grandchildren between the two of us. The youngest grandchild is 18 months old and the oldest is 15 years old. Need some fast projects sewing friends!!!! Please tell me help is on the way!!! Many thanks!

Gail
Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 AM

Pocket Kleenex holders are great.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 AM

My kids are not the norm...but one christmas I bought my small dog a bunch of toys from the dollar tree. My kids had a small fortune spent on them. After the mess was cleaned up the kids kept laughing and running through the house. I peeked to see what they were having so much fun with.....It was the dog toys! So after that we started buying dog toys for their stockings. They love it. The first thing christmas morning they run for is their stocking to see what cool toys they get. This year Im making heather baileys pin cushions instead of dog toys...hope they like them. my kids are 6, 10, 14
Other favorites are personalized pillowcases and flannel pj bottoms. Don't worry about giving the older kids handmade gifts. They may make a face but when no one is looking they will treasure them.
sorry this is long Im putting off running to the post office.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Banned

make pillowcases for the kids in a theme that they have some interest in. for the adults table runner/topper. it is for the house so you can give each couple 1 then you don't have to make each adult their own gift. if you want to make a gift for each adutl the woman you can make an apron, they are so in fashion again or pot holders and the men, PJ bottoms.

or depending on how much money you want to spend becasue fleece is not cheap you can make quick fleece throw. either ties the edges or bind it.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 AM

if they are tea drinkers then tea bag holders are great for them. there is a tut on here also. for the little girls, if they are into dolls then maybe a couple of doll quilts. for the baby a very simple play blanket maybe. for the older ones it just depends on where their tastes lay. I have a similar problem. I have three nieces and one nephew that I see maybe once a year because they live in Cali. ages ranging from 15-2ish and there is a new baby on the way in spring. For the older one if they are into reading and writing maybe a journal cover and a gift card to a book store or maybe make the kleenex holder for the gift cards to places that the kids really like to go. I would just go with your gut of this. it helps.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:39 AM

Our kids loved the jean quilt grandma made them. She used the part of the jeans with decoration, like the pocket, inside the zipper flap, and then combined with a theme fabric for the other squares. She made trip around the world or just blocks. She had them quilted with a large meander.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 AM

Thank you so much for those ideas! I now must make a list for each person and what I will be making for them! The 15 year old is really into reading and I just love that idea!!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 AM

Obviously as you can see, I've never tried to post anything! LOL!! Thanks so much for the ideas, I really like the reading one for the 15 year old. I'll try and post pics when these projects get finished.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Google Goddess

have you tried the Criss Cross Coasters and be sure to read the tip on this thread

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-68807-1.htm
Old 11-08-2010, 03:40 PM

Pillow cases are quick and easy. They don't take up much room for the trip back either.