Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with figuring out queen size >

Need help with figuring out queen size

Need help with figuring out queen size

Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM

Default Need help with figuring out queen size

I am in the process of making a queen size quilt. The suggested size is 88x96. If I want my blocks to be 12" finished, should I make the quilt 8 blocks across and 9 blocks down or 8x8? Also, does anyone know how many yards I would need for the backing for an 88x96 queen size quilt?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Hope some of this info helps.
If I have calcutalted right and please correct me if I am wrong. 8 12 inch finished blocks across will be 96 inches wide.
9 blocks down will be 108 inches long.
8x8 will be 96 across and 96 inches long.
The width of your fabric will determine how much fabric you will need for your quilt. You also need to have your backing wider than your top (most say allow 8 inches for length and 8 inches for width. Plus more if you are using the backing to wrap around to the front for your binding.)(4 inches for top & 4 for bottom and 4 inches extra on each side)
There are fabrics that come in wide widths. Some are at least 108 inches wide. In cases like that you just need the length of your quilt top plus your 8 extra inches if you are using a seperate binding piece.
Here are some links that might help explain it better
www.ehow.com/way_5805308_much-backing-needed-queen-quilt_.html or
www.quilt-lovers-guide.com/quilt-backing.html
Old 01-14-2012, 06:33 PM

Thank you one-and-only for your quick response! I was thinking the 8x9 would make the quilt more rectangular like a bed instead of square. The links you added help alot as well! Thanks so much again for your help!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 AM

Also, don't forget this: how much overhang do you want on the sides and the bottom of the bed? And will the quilt just be lying on top of the pillows or tucked underneath?? Although I have a California King, which is about 6" narrower but about 6" longer than a regular King, I like overhang, so my quilt is 106" square.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:57 AM

Are you going to add sashing between the blocks and also what about the border. So this will add width and length to the quilt. For a queen size usuall it runs about 10 or 12 yds. When I make a quilt I never buy the backing until the top is finished as I am never sure what my final size will be. but thats just me. LOL
Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 AM

also keep in mind you'll usually lose a few inches in quilting & washing the first time. On a queen, I usually lose anywhere from 2-3" each direction. I have one queen that finished 96" square (an Eleanor Burns pattern), and find that it's a bit big for my bed, but couldn't shorten it due to the pattern repeats.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 PM

For me, when unsure of yardage requirements I work in square inch increments. X number of pieces at Y size = Z number of sq. in. multiplied by the number of pieces/blocks. Tedious but it works. Plus I add anywhere from 1/4 to 1 yard extra depending on number of cuts or how large I need the pieces to be (i.e. backing). I normally don't buy backing material until I have the top at least nearly or completely pieced in case there are changes along the way. I usually overbuy by 1-2 yards so I can maneuver the pieces to get the most efficient use of fabric. That's where my (meager) stash comes from.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

for backing if you purchase a wide fabric (normally 108" up to 118" wide are the normal available) and you order 3 yds- you will have 108" long- which will give you plenty for your backing. most lqs' carry some wide fabrics- you can also get many including wide muslins at joannes. on line places like fabric.com carry a larger selection and various prices.
it can be quite a savings- figuring quilting cottons are going for $10 + a yard- if you need 8 or 9 yards= compared to 3 yds of wide fabric for $14 a yard (the prices vary- i've purchased a couple wide batiks for $18 a yard- still a huge savings.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM

You are quite WELCOME!!! Just glad I could help.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by sandyms View Post
Also, don't forget this: how much overhang do you want on the sides and the bottom of the bed? And will the quilt just be lying on top of the pillows or tucked underneath?? Although I have a California King, which is about 6" narrower but about 6" longer than a regular King, I like overhang, so my quilt is 106" square.
Good information, sandyms. Gellybean, Just another little tidbit. When figuring your overhang, I find that with the many different thicknesses of mattresses, it's a good idea to measure to be sure the quilt covers the mattress. Good luck.