Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help figuring out ways to do blocks for quilts >

need help figuring out ways to do blocks for quilts

need help figuring out ways to do blocks for quilts

Old 12-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Default need help figuring out ways to do blocks for quilts

Hi everyone,

I have some quilts that I have collected blocks for, but need help in deciding how to put them together. I am using them for either birthdays or Christmas for 2012. They are for my children, so I know they will appreciated them. I have one almost done for my brother-in-law, and I know he will love it as well. So here is what I have:

Blue and yellow - 17 squares (12 1/2"). I am trying to decide if I want to make it twin size or queen size. Probably twin size will win.

Pink and Purple 19 squares (12 1/2"). This one will definitely be queen size.

Blue and tan football quilt. For this one I have 10 squares (12 1/2") that have a plain tan and blue fabric in them, and the football piece is blue. I cannot match my colors to make more blocks. I can do a transfer I have and hand embroider a football block for each corner piece. My other option is to mix my squares with some fabric that I have that has a lighter tan print with it. I was going to use that piece for my other son, but I can change that if need be.

I have 4 baby quilts to make before June, a birthday quilt for my 2 year old granddaughter who's birthday is in June. I figure since I have most of the blocks done, I could get birthday quilts done, if I set aside so much time each day in my sewing room. I just need to organize it, so that when I do go down to quilt, my focus can be on quilting and not have my mind wander so much.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hsquiltingmom
Old 12-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Find a nice focus fabric that matches and put inbetween these solids. Or put a 4 patch posie inbetween. That would look nice. Good luck. Be sure to post when finished!!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 AM

No matter how you do it, 12 1/2" solid color blocks will look very plain unless you have some very fancy quilting.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

The odd number blocks make it more tricky can you add some different blocks in maybe a contrasting color ?

You could sew them together in sections , sash them , or just use what you have and sash them

any way you do it you will be very busy