Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help figuring yardage please >

need help figuring yardage please

need help figuring yardage please

Old 09-03-2010, 05:55 AM

Hi everyone,

When I go to make a quilt, I just go to the store and buy a yard of this, 3/4 of this, 1/2 of this and usually end up with more fabric than needed.

Well, with money a bit tight right now, I would prefer to buy closer to what I need. I am making a quilt for my daughter, I would like to make 2 one twin and one queen. The queen one will be one that I would have her put away until she gets married. Both of these I would like to give her for Christmas.

The pattern I am looking at is "starflower" from quilter's cache. It tells me for color 1 I need 2 strips 3 7/8" X 7 3/4" and color 2 requires the same and color 3 one 3 1/2" X 14" and 2 3 7/8" X 7 3/4". I figure I need 13 squares because I will do 2" sashing (finished) and a 3" border.

Anyone want to walk me through the steps of figuring my yardage?

Thanks

hsquiltingmom
Old 09-03-2010, 06:27 AM

If you are working with a pattern, does the pattern not tell you how much fabric you need? You can draw out the needed pieces on paper to determine how you will cut them for each color. When making a queen size, I would not skimp on the fabric. You can always use the extra for backing. All my backs are pieced with leftovers from the quilt tops.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I wish I could help you on this but I am not smart with this part of quilting. Maybe someone will be able to help you. Good Luck
Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Not including borders and sashings, but just for making 13 of the blocks, you will need
Color 1: 26 strips at 4", or 2.88 yards. buy 3 yards
Color 2: buy 3 yards
Color 3: 13 strips at 3.5" is about 1.2 yards. Add that to 26 strips at 4". Buy 4 and 1/3 or 4 1/2 yards. You will have extra of this, as you only need to make one rectangle from each 3.5" strip.

This is a very GENEROUS estimate, because it assumes that you are using every inch of the 4" strips.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM

I always draw it out on paper, starting with the width of the fabric. Then draw lines to represent strips, squares, etc. until I have as many pieces drawn as I will need. As you go, you will see how much length in inches you will need. Then I always add a little bit, say 1/4 - 1/3 yard to allow for shrinkage or straightening on grain, mistakes in cutting, etc.

It always works out and I never have a problem.

I also take my diagrams with me to the store as a reminder of what I am doing, or if I choose a fabric of a different width, I can make the appropriate adjustments.

When I choose my fabrics, I always mark my diagrams with what fabric I picked for what strips/squares, etc. so that when I get all that fabric home, I remember how to cut it and how to place it! Sometimes I get scatter-brained!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 AM

Maybe this will help its a quilt calculator:

http://vrya.net/quilt/classic.php

http://www.quiltshops.com/calculator/calculator.htm