Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with hand quilting 3D pinwheel >

Need help with hand quilting 3D pinwheel

Need help with hand quilting 3D pinwheel

Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 AM

I kept seeing all the wonderful 3d pinwheel quilts on here and just had to try one. I've started on my squares, but am at a loss as to how I could hand quilt it. None of my machines are good at machine quilting...they're too old, not strong enough, the walking foot makes thread knots, etc.. Any ideas on what I could do by hand to show off the pinwheels?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 AM

I'm new to quilting as well and my current machine that has a walking foot hangs up at intersections but I just finished my granddaughtes 3-d pinwheel. I stitched in a ditch around the blocks and down the middle both sideways and top to bottom of the pinwheel blocks; I also quilted around each pinwheel following the design of the pinwheel. Since it was for a child and would see the washing machine alot I wanted to to do more than the stitch in the ditch so that is why I did around the pinwheel. I'm considering putting stencil designs at each block intersection in the sashing and quilting that as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

all good ideas from romanojg!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio
all good ideas from romanojg!
thank you , thank you, thank you. I have some of those once in a while. Have a great day.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
I'm new to quilting as well and my current machine that has a walking foot hangs up at intersections but I just finished my granddaughtes 3-d pinwheel. I stitched in a ditch around the blocks and down the middle both sideways and top to bottom of the pinwheel blocks; I also quilted around each pinwheel following the design of the pinwheel. Since it was for a child and would see the washing machine alot I wanted to to do more than the stitch in the ditch so that is why I did around the pinwheel. I'm considering putting stencil designs at each block intersection in the sashing and quilting that as well.
Will have to try this with my handquilting. Thank you for your help. Would LOVE to see PICTURES of your quilt!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Oh, and for anybody who reads this, this quilt block is ADDICTING! You want to make more and more and more!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by donnaree59
Oh, and for anybody who reads this, this quilt block is ADDICTING! You want to make more and more and more!
I totally agree; It is such a pretty block to be so easy to make. My daughter told me now I need to make one in boys colors for her son. He's only 5 but always wants me to make him a quilt. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I have some of my CW and my techniques quilt that I have promised to post; hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get to it. On my days off from work I watch my grandkids so that my daughter doesn't have to pay as much for daycare. It gets hectic w/a 5yr old boy and a 4month old girl to add to cleaning and all of the other life chores.