Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with Happy Hour by Atkinson Designs >

Need help with Happy Hour by Atkinson Designs

Need help with Happy Hour by Atkinson Designs

Old 08-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Ok, so here is my problem, I cut out my biggest strip, then the middle one..... Then missed placed the pattern...I just need to know the bottom strip(thinest) one...Can anyone help...really hate to have to purchase the pattern... :(
Old 08-05-2011, 02:36 PM
MTS
Banned

I don't have the pattern, but just from looking at the picture, it's the width you need to make a square when joined with the other two.

How big are those blocks supposed to be? 8" finished????
How big did you cut the other two pieces?

It's really simple math.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 PM

My first strip is 6.5 w, middle strip 3.5, but if I cut the last strip the same width as the middle it doesn't look like the pattern to me...in the pattern pic it looks like the last strip is quite narrower than the middle...maybe it's just me lol...I'm making this block 12" finished and not the 8" finish.....The quilt I'm making is the one featured on the cover if that helps...really hate to have to purchase that book again...If memory serves me correctly the block size in the pattern was a 8" finish, but I wanted a 12" finish so by just using the basic block I figured out for the 12", but like I said to me I think the last strip is quite narrow from the rest of the block. OK NOT MARK MY WORDS ON MY MEASUREMENTS LOL...CAUSE I THINK I CUT MY BIGGEST PIECE AT 8.5, MIDDLE 2.5 SO THINKING LAST STRIP WILL BE 1.5" SO BLOCK IS 12.5" UNFINISHED....DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT
Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 PM
MTS
Banned

I just used 8" in my reply because it looked proportionally right to me.

These strips are all for the background fabric, right?

I think the 3.5" is for the top and bottom strip of the middle section. Make sense?

And since Atkinson patterns are notoriously easy and proportional - as in 3,6,9 or 2,4,6,12....

The question then is how you were supposed to cross cut the 6.5" strips.

There would be on 12.5" strip for the background.

But it looks like maybe you also were to cross-cut the 6.5" into 4.5" (4" finished) widths for the contrasting rectangle.

Again, I'm just looking at the pattern. But it you're sure it was 12" finished blocks, it makes sense to me.

Or instead of a 4/2 split, maybe it was 4.5/1.5.

What do you think?

FINISHED(???) sizes of patches
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237068[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-237062.jpe  
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36
My first strip is 6.5 w, middle strip 3.5, but if I cut the last strip the same width as the middle it doesn't look like the pattern to me...in the pattern pic it looks like the last strip is quite narrower than the middle...maybe it's just me lol...I'm making this block 12" finished and not the 8" finish.....The quilt I'm making is the one featured on the cover if that helps...really hate to have to purchase that book again...If memory serves me correctly the block size in the pattern was a 8" finish, but I wanted a 12" finish so by just using the basic block I figured out for the 12", but like I said to me I think the last strip is quite narrow from the rest of the block. OK NOT MARK MY WORDS ON MY MEASUREMENTS LOL...CAUSE I THINK I CUT MY BIGGEST PIECE AT 8.5, MIDDLE 2.5 SO THINKING LAST STRIP WILL BE 1.5" SO BLOCK IS 12.5" UNFINISHED....DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT
Yes
Old 08-05-2011, 03:24 PM
MTS
Banned

Ah, you edited while I was typing.

What piece is 8.5"? Because, visually the larger background piece is definitely half the size of the block.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:31 PM

See it just doesn't pay for me to start something then pack it away part way through cutting sheesh :oops: . I think you are right about it and I'm sooo wrong lol....I will double check the strips, oh man maybe this wasn't even the pattern I was cutting this up for :oops: grrrrrrrrrrrr.....I sure hope so...as a rule I usually put the pattern with the material...then I did clean room, moved things around and well who the heck knows now...but I have these strips and that was the only pattern I can remember working on sometime ago....
Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 PM
MTS
Banned

Yell if you want to try something different.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Yes we are talking about the background the one consistant color.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Thanks MTS...greatly appreciated. :thumbup: