Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help (ideas) on domestic machine quilting Hunter Stars. >

need help (ideas) on domestic machine quilting Hunter Stars.

need help (ideas) on domestic machine quilting Hunter Stars.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:41 PM

Default need help (ideas) on domestic machine quilting Hunter Stars.

I have finally finished piecing the scrappy Hunter Star. Note I do not usually use a pattern. My points actually matched up pretty good! It measures 93 x 93 which includes an inner border at 1 1/2" and outer border at 3 inches. The stars are finished at 12". I had planned on stitching in the ditch but after sewing 32 pieces to make each star. Not so much now! There is just too many seam junctions to sew over. I am not the best with free motion quilting. I can draw pictures easily enough but to make a continuous design. Ugh! Any ideas ladies? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

What kind of batting are you using? The batting package will tell you how far apart your quilting lines can be. That info is helpful in coming up with a quilting pattern.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Power Poster

I like easy, modern quilting lines. There is an example of curvy lines on the cover of Quilts and More magazine, Spring 2015: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/magazi...uilts-and-more

The lines can be much more casual also:
http://jeliquilts.blogspot.com/2013/...-festival.html

These could be done diagonally also, or as cross-hatching. You can find more examples by Googling "quilting curvy lines" and then clicking on "images". Lots of variations.

In all cases, it is very easy to do this type of quilting on a domestic machine using a walking foot. You simply pull the quilt from side to side as you sew to make the softly curving lines. I would spray baste for this technique, as it holds the layers together very well.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the input. I am using 100% cotton "Quilters Dream Cotton" as this it what I have on hand. Says can be quilted up to 8" apart. I plan on quilting somewhere between 4 and 6" as it is a young couple and don't know how they will be using the quilt. I hope it is used and not put away for "safe keeping". I try not to get upset when I see quilts used for the dogs or cats but am ok with tents for the little ones or blankets at those outside sport events. Just not under the car or in a dirty garage please!