Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with the Lovers knot Quilt binding - Forgot Book >

Need Help with the Lovers knot Quilt binding - Forgot Book

Need Help with the Lovers knot Quilt binding - Forgot Book

Old 09-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Ok, so, here's my sad story. I am finishing up the Lovers Knot Quilt I am giving to my DD's BFF for a wedding present on September 10th. I am ready to bind it...soooo....I brought everything I need to finish it up with me to our DS's for the weekend...EXCEPT the book. That would not normally be an issue, but what I do remember is that she says to cut the binding strips 3 inches and trim the batting 1/8 inch from the edge of the border...I THINK....also, I don't remember how many strips I need for a double bed quilt. I have figured it out at 11, but would so love to have the book to refer to. Does anyone have the book and could you look for me?? I normally do 2-1/2 inch binding strips, but thought I would try it her way...hmmmm....
Old 09-03-2011, 02:14 PM

I have the book in front of me. What is it you are looking for? Yes 11 3" strips.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by PegD
I have the book in front of me. What is it you are looking for? Yes 11 3" strips.
Awesome!!! Thank you sooooo much!
Now, am I correct...trim the backing and batting 1/8 in from the edge of the borders right? And then you sew 3/8 inch? Also, does she sew the strips together at an angle or does she sew them together flat end flat end? Just trying to get a feel for how she did it, cause that would depend on how the amount of strips was calculated and I only have barely enough for 11 strips.

Once again, thank you, sooooo much! You are a life saver!!
Old 09-03-2011, 02:51 PM

She sews them end to end, not on the diagonal. You trim the batting and backing 1/8 from the edge after you sew the binding on, you sew 3/8" from the end at the mitered corners. Then you fold it over to the back and stitch in the ditch. Does it make sense?
Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by PegD
She sews them end to end, not on the diagonal. You trim the batting and backing 1/8 from the edge after you sew the binding on, you sew 3/8" from the end at the mitered corners. Then you fold it over to the back and stitch in the ditch. Does it make sense?
Absolutely! Thank you. If I had sewn them on the diagonal I wouldn't have had enough material!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:16 PM

You are so welcome. Glad I could help.