Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help on Machine quilting. >

Need help on Machine quilting.

Need help on Machine quilting.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:51 AM

I"m mostly a hand quilter. But I have been tring to do some more machine quilting Free motion and stiching with my walking foot ( stright lines). But some times I get very Loopy Lose threads in the back of my Quilts. Have to redo evey thing and have to re do my tension on my machine to 7 oe 8. Is this normal Or is my machine acting up? Hope not.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:15 AM

Every machine is different. My newer Bernina needs the tension set at 3 or 4 for FMQ, but my older one needs it at 7 or 8. You are not doing anything wrong as long as your stitches are turning out the way you wanted them.

Maria
Old 11-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Just do a little test before you start on your quilt each time...I keep a little "practice" sandwich close by for this purpose. Then set your machine where ever it likes...and they do all like different things. It will depend on your choice for batting and your fabrics as well...you might need a different setting each time.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

don't use the walking foot for free motion!! you need to use your darning foot also known as a spring foot. it actually has a spring around the shaft. that helps the needle keep from breaking as you move the quilt.
now the other day i got looping when sewing some squares i'd purchased. i think they had poly in them. i finally gave up after cleaning and rethreading and ended up taking some paper and laying it over my seam and sewed just fine. sort of like paper piecing. just tore off the paper when done. no more loops.!