Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Making Center Blocks Stand Out >

Need Help with Making Center Blocks Stand Out

Need Help with Making Center Blocks Stand Out

Old 02-24-2017, 10:34 AM

Oh, this is so very pretty.......the pattern idea and the fabrics! Hope someone knows what to do......maybe paints instead of crayons so color would not soak through??
Old 02-24-2017, 05:26 PM

I agree with everyone else. I like it the way it is! Echo quilting is a workable idea, but I don't want you to do anything that would spoil the beauty of the quilt as it is.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:43 PM

I think it looks great - I actually would love to see it wide open To answer your question, I did one time take a black fine point sharpie to outline some embroidery to help it stand out better... BUT that was with lettering and they were all one color. I would not attempt such a thing on this lovely quilt
Old 02-25-2017, 04:50 AM

Please don't change the quilt....it's beautiful as it is. Whoever quilts it can make those blocks you don't like "POP"!
Old 02-25-2017, 04:52 AM

I like it the way it is. The embroideries show up nicely. I bet she will love it. Beautiful!
Old 02-25-2017, 05:24 AM

I, too, say: Don't touch the embroidered pictures. They are lovely as is.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:38 AM

WOW!!! What a gorgeous generation quilt. To think ALL of you have taken an interest in it and it is making invaluable memories. Just love this picture, too. 'Less is Better' in this case. Leave it just the way it is - beautiful.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:04 AM

I have used crayons to enhance embroidery. I set each block with a hot iron using a silicone pressing sheet. Came out very nice and I gave it for a charity auction. So I don't know how it washed, but it was real pretty.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 AM

It's amazing, and the fact that all of you worked on it makes it even more special.

After studying it, I wonder if what you are seeing isn't that the embroidery needs to be more colorful, but that it is airy and open, compared to the wide saturation of color in the Irish chain blocks. One idea might be to give the edges of the white more definition to stand up to them. Maybe quilt inside the edges of the white with a contrasting color that's in the embroidery? With a beefier thread? Or a blanket stitch in black or a color?

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 02-25-2017, 06:50 AM

I think the fabric (or even normal crayons) need to high a heat to be used once there is batting. Maybe a denser quilting stitch w/ a white thread in the pieced part would tone that down allowing the embroider to shine brighter w/o having to alter it.

If I were determined to alter the embroider blocks, I would use the dimensional fabric paint w/ a narrow tip, carefully going along the embroidered stitch line to darken it, you would need paint colors to match or nearly match all the thread colors.