Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Making Center Blocks Stand Out >

Need Help with Making Center Blocks Stand Out

Need Help with Making Center Blocks Stand Out

Old 02-23-2017, 05:01 AM

Default Need Help with Making Center Blocks Stand Out

This is one of those "salvage it if you can" projects. The Dutch Doll embroidery panels were purchased and finished more than 10 years ago, but I missed the baby-days mark for my granddaughter. The baby quilt never got finished.

I finally just gave the embroidery to my granddaughter to ask her what she wanted to do with it. Then, while we were visiting one summer, my daughter and an older granddaughter suggested an Irish Chain with the dolls as the center blocks. We worked on it together for several visits, but pictures of the quilt never seemed to do it justice. Even here the picture is pixilated so one can barely see the design.

MY QUESTION:
Is there anyone on this board who has painted or used crayons *after* a quilt has been quilted? This one is not finished, but moving along nicely. I just hate that the Dutch Doll blocks do not show up. I hope you good ladies have suggestions. I have looked through Pinterest and there are a few ideas there, but I do not know anyone who has tried them.
Attached Thumbnails amaris-quilt-copy.jpg  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:08 AM

Wow! I'm just finishing that same quilt, without the embroidery. It sure was a bear to make, but turned out great. Maybe doing a little bit of echo quilting around each embroidery would make them stand out more. Good luck, I think any thing will be great.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:15 AM

Your quilt is beautiful! I wouldn't change a thing. Your embroidery blocks show because they are on a solid white background.

I wouldn't touch it!

Beautiful work!!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:47 AM

It's a lovely quilt. I can see the center embroidered blocks just fine. I wouldn't change a thing, I love it!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I also think the embroidery stands on it's own. I love it just the way it is. I'd worry that coloring the blocks would make them look too cartoon-y.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:01 AM

I agree with all of the other posters here saying your embroidery blocks look perfect! The irish chain helps them stand out beautifully. Perhaps some echo quilting with a colored thread that brings out the predominant color within the embroidered blocks if they are a bit different? That could help make those colors pop a bit more. Otherwise, I would leave those lovely embroidered blocks alone.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

The embroidery is sweet and adding more color to it would change the look too much imo. Wouldn't change a thing.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:45 PM

I like the way it looks now. I certainly wouldn't take a chance on adding any form of color at this time. I think it would not be an asset.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I too would leave the embroidery alone. It shows up fine.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:19 PM

I have not. I think it looks fine as is.