Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help in making something out of sweatshirts

Blog Entries

Need help in making something out of sweatshirts

I'm making several T shirt quilts for graduation gifts at the request of the parents. Problem is they have given me a few heavy sweatshirts with the request to "do something with them." There is no way I want to blend the sweatshirts into the T shirt quilts. I could make pillows with the sweatshirts but want to know if any readers have any other ideas. Yes, "I need help." Thanks so much.

Blog Entries
    you can make quilted jackets by removing the ribbed bands and cutting down the front... sew blocks to the result.
    Nancy in western NY

How about making a backpack out them. the ones I have seen, they cut the sleves off and use them for handles sew them it the top and botton, cut off the top and botton ribbing and sew the bottom and put a draw string in the top. I have sweatshirt put up to make me a new hand bag but time has not been on my side yet.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

I would make a bag or pillow. If it is for a boy, I would definitely go with the pillow idea. Ask the prents first as to which they would prefer.

Oh, if the design on the sweatshirt is small, you could also do a mug rug.

Blog Entries
    Yes - think pillows are going to be about the only option. Can't do a jacket as the sweatshirts are too small, besides, they are from elementary school and HS - Yes, it is going to be a couple of "floor pillows." Thanks for your suggestions.

Blog Entries
    Theses shirts are from grade school and HS and the boy is going to college. Think I'll have to end up making floor pillows.......

I've made several t-shirt quilts, and have been asked to do a couple of more. Have never been asked to "do something" with sweatshirts, but this thread had given me ideas...just in case. Thank you!
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Power Poster
    Do you have enough to cut big squares and use them for quilt backing? Might be tricky to FMQ through but if you are quilting using your walking foot, it might work?

Depending on how many there are, you could do a small wall hanging with them.