Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help matching squares

Need help matching squares

Well, match isn't the correct word but I "volunteered" to make a Boxer dog quilt for a local rescue. I did find some Boxer squares online. They are basically white squares with Boxers printed on them. I also found the Boxer appliqué. NOW!!!!!!!! The squares are not the same size. The "main" one is
    16 tall X 15 wide
    11 ¼ tall X 10 ¼ wide,
    two are approximately 11 tall X 11 ¾ wide,
    11 ¾ tall X 10 wide,
    12 tall X 10 wide,
    11 ½ X 11 ½.
    I can trim most to be closer to the same size, except for the center one of course. I can lay them out in a nice configuration and I have purchased fabric that I think will be nice. Now the hard part! How to I figure out the sizes of blocks needed to complete?? What kind of blocks do you see??
    Overall layout
    Name:  h 003.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  498.7 KB
    Fabrics
    Name:  Fabric.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  612.8 KB
    Center panel
    Name:  Center panel.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  320.3 KB
    Appliqué
    Name:  Applique'.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  292.5 KB
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

i would sash the smaller blocks to make them all the same size- maybe 12 1/2", maybe larger- then i would sash the large center one to make it (divide evenly) with the smaller ones- (like maybe 18 1/2")
    then i could use one of the smaller blocks with a couple 6" (6 1/2") ...or a strip 6 1/2"x 12 1/2"...what ever i liked as i was playing with it.
    I love boxers...those pictures are WONDERFUL!..
    start with getting your small blocks all the same size- then go from there...& have fun with it!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

QM
    It's a matter of math. put the pieces you have on your design wall and figure out how much space needs to be filled. Sashing, adding unrelated blocks (like 9 patches) will help. The local rescue may have photos of actual rescue dogs that you can print up to fill spaces as well. I use Bubblejet for this process, but there are several brands of prepared fabrics as well (be sure they are washable!)/

QM
    I like to use pix as centers of 8 point stars. That pattern you have could be used more than once, in color variations.

I have no idea~! Love the boxers! Wanted to suggest that all the dogs "face to the center" if possible, I always think they are going to run off the edge if they face out. The quilt is going to be wonderful.

Check out this pattern someone shared with me fromt he board years ago. I think this just might work for your panel.

Hubby's Quilt (In Progress)

Pm me if you want me to find the printed sheet pattern for you.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Oh it is going to be a great quilt I love love boxers mine went to doggy heaven 7 years ago and I still miss her a lot I always said she was the love of my life

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
    Check out this pattern someone shared with me fromt he board years ago. I think this just might work for your panel.

Hubby's Quilt (In Progress)

Pm me if you want me to find the printed sheet pattern for you.

Don't know if I'll use that exactly but thanks for the ideas!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Your welcome.... I did have a seperate request for the pattern that I will send off this week to her. Whew 7 binders full to look through until I found it!
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

You could make wonky blocks. Here is a baby quilt that I made with different size centers.Name:  WONKY QLT.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  169.5 KB