Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Need help with math!

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    I want to make a quilt with these blocks but I want to use charm squares. So instead of the 2 5/8" squares mine will work out to be 2 1/2" squares. Where I need the help is figuring out the sizes of the other squares needed. I'm not worried about the block coming out a certain size. Just want everything to be cut correctly so it goes together right.

    Can someone help me? I really suck at math :oops:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Super Member charmpacksplus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,649
    I'm a fudger when it comes to adjusting patterns! Since you're making the 2 5/8 blocks just a little smaller, then I would just make the others the size the pattern calls for then trim them down once the are sewn in place. They are the triangle pieces around the edge so you should be able to just chop them off.

    This might not be the best advice, but it works for me! :mrgreen:

  3. #3
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,365
    Blog Entries
    20
    Wow! I would take several scrap pieces and cut and play with them before I began this project.

    I don't know if this is correct or not.

    Calculating 2" finished square:
    4.078" square cut twice on the diagonal for side setting triangles. I think you would round up to 4 1/16" or 4 1/8".
    2.29" square cut on the diagonal for corners. I think this would round to 2 3/8".
    Help! Does this sound correct?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    430
    If your finished squares will be 2" then here is the formula:

    for the 1/2 sq triangles you will add finished(2) + 7/8" = 2 7/8" square cut in half diagonally.

    for the 1/4 sq triangles you will add finished(2) + 1 1/4" = 3 1/4" square cut in half diagonally twice.

  5. #5
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,365
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYearsOld
    If your finished squares will be 2" then here is the formula:

    for the 1/2 sq triangles you will add finished(2) + 7/8" = 2 7/8" square cut in half diagonally.

    for the 1/4 sq triangles you will add finished(2) + 1 1/4" = 3 1/4" square cut in half diagonally twice.
    Aren't they side setting and corner setting triangles, not hst and qst?

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you. (sure wish I would have paid more attention in math!)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    430
    When I first started quilting 6 years ago, my neighbor, gave me "The Quilters Pocket Reference" book by Peggy Scholley. It is filled with all the information you need to determine the yardage for your next quilt plus easy-to-use charts and instructions. It is a must have! :)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYearsOld
    If your finished squares will be 2" then here is the formula:

    for the 1/2 sq triangles you will add finished(2) + 7/8" = 2 7/8" square cut in half diagonally.

    for the 1/4 sq triangles you will add finished(2) + 1 1/4" = 3 1/4" square cut in half diagonally twice.
    Aren't they side setting and corner setting triangles, not hst and qst?
    You are correct! I had to look at the pattern again. I use my square that is cut in 1/4 for my corner triangles, and my square that is cut in 1/2 for my side setting triangles. So you will need 6 of the A block and just one of the B block with this formula.

  9. #9
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,155
    Blog Entries
    6
    Aren't all the squares cut the same size?

  10. #10
    Senior Member redpurselady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Wow! I would take several scrap pieces and cut and play with them before I began this project.

    I don't know if this is correct or not.

    Calculating 2" finished square:
    4.078" square cut twice on the diagonal for side setting triangles. I think you would round up to 4 1/16" or 4 1/8".
    2.29" square cut on the diagonal for corners. I think this would round to 2 3/8".
    Help! Does this sound correct?
    According to the formula for setting triangles and corner triangles - this is what I get as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.