Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with my walking foot >

Need help with my walking foot

Need help with my walking foot

Old 05-12-2010, 04:24 PM

It should look like the second picture...hugging the screw that holds in your needle. Give it a test run okay?

I may be wrong, my answer was based on how my walking foot attaches. Your presser foot lever definately looks like it will get hung up on it no matter which way you attach it. Have you tried going to the website for your particular machine? Maybe you can't use a generic walking foot. I would ask them.

If you give me your machine make and model I will try to find out for you.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:35 PM

The walking foot for most of the machine I have had look like in the second pic. I agree that your problem seems to be the grey, up/down lever. I am sure that must bump the foot as it moves. I agree, check with a dealer.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Joe

Originally Posted by JanetM
It should look like the second picture...hugging the screw that holds in your needle. Give it a test run okay?

I may be wrong, my answer was based on how my walking foot attaches. Your presser foot lever definately looks like it will get hung up on it no matter which way you attach it. Have you tried going to the website for your particular machine? Maybe you can't use a generic walking foot. I would ask them.

If you give me your machine make and model I will try to find out for you.
It's a Brother VX 1120 I don't think the lever is supposed to come down that close to the foot maybe some sort of stop is missing inside the machine.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Hi Joe,

Okay, I am totally confused. I did a search and am finding conflicting information as to which walking foot works on your VX-1120. One site says you need the SA-140, but another says that does not work on your model.

http://www.brother-usa.com/Support/Default.aspx

If you call Brother tomorrow I think they may be able to clear things up. I suggest that you tell them that you have tried a generic walking foot and the presser foot lever is hitting it. In looking at pictures your lever looks okay to me, so there must be a thin, low profile walking foot that would clear it.

Their customer support team is available at:
1-877-276-8437 Mon-Fri 9:00am - 5:45pm Eastern time

I am very frustrated that I couldn't solve your problem . I would have called Brother myself, but it was too late. Please let us know what they say, okay?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Joe

I will let you know thanks again
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 PM

The second pic. What I am most concerned about it your lever to lift your foot. It seems to sit on top of the back of your walking foot. Does it interfere with the walking foot itself? My suggestion is to not thread the needle and turn your wheel slowly and watch all the parts of the walking foot and make sure there isn't to much pressure on the back of the walking foot from your pressure foot lever. The walking foot should 'walk' by one section up., moving forward and one section down moving back. The section that is down should be hitting your feed dogs and 'gripping' your fabric. If there is a gap then the pressure foot lever is putting to much pressure on the back of the walking foot.

I sure hope this explanation is a lot clearer than mud :).
Old 05-21-2010, 04:35 PM

Hi Joe,
Did you ever contact Brother about you walking foot trouble. I'm curious as to what you found out. :D
Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Joe

Originally Posted by JanetM
Hi Joe,
Did you ever contact Brother about you walking foot trouble. I'm curious as to what you found out. :D
It turns out there is something wrong with my presser foot lever I have to take it apart and figure out what is causing it to travel over so far as to interfere with the foot. Haven't had time to do that yet but will keep you posted. May have to take it in for repair or just buy a new one this model is probably ten years old and it would probably not cost much more to replace it then to fix it.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Maybe it is time for a new machine. That wouldn't be so bad, huh? Keep us posted. :D
Old 05-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

It's probably a set screw that became loose and fell out. Go ahead and take a look inside. It may be an easy fix and then you'll have a back up machine when you buy the new one.