Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help Organizing >

Need Help Organizing

Need Help Organizing

Old 12-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Location: South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.

Hello. I am in need of help with organizing my quilting stuff.....from the fabric down to the most important items for quilting. I am a charity quilter that started a small group over a year ago. Donations of fabric and batting is our only means of survival for our charity quilting. As the donations keep coming in, my sewing room is getting smaller and smaller. I am running out of room to put things. My living room, second bedroom and a small area in our garage are becoming a storage place for fabric and sewing machines. Please do not misunderstand me, I am very blessed to continue to receive these donations, but how do I keep up with the fabric and storage of same?

I have stopped advertising for donations at this time.

Anyone in the same situation as I am? Please offer some assistance. Thank you,

Charity Quilter Dar
Old 12-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Is there a local shop that can help? I do some charity work for. We meet and do all of our stuff for the most part at a local shop, we have part of one of the class rooms there where we keep all of the supplies etc, they even loan us machines to use that some of their classes use.

There are other groups here as well in town that when we get donations that we can't use we donate to them, And maybe through the store can also get more volunteers to help put together some of the quilts, using up more of the supplies.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 AM

We meet at our local library in their meeting room which supplies all the tables and chairs and plenty of space for quilting. We like meeting there. So I can't store our supplies there. I will see about other quilds helping us with the fabric. Thank you so much for responding to my question.

Dar
Old 12-30-2009, 09:24 AM

I have fabric every where. Start by tring to put all the fabic in one place, then the batting, and so on.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Maybe set aside a few meetings to sort and mass cut up some kits? These can be put into zip lock bags and tied up in bundles with the backing fabrics. Have some of the members come over and help sort the larger pieces from the smaller ones... Maybe some of them can take fabric home to cut into various blocks or strips?
Once you get a grip on what you have the future donations can be sorted and put away.
(((HUGS))) to all of you for being so generous with your time to make these quilts :D:D:D
Old 12-30-2009, 06:11 PM

What a wonderful idea. I am going to suggest this at our very next meeting. Thank you so much for the suggestion. And thank you everyone else too.

A Happy Quilter in S.C.