Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with a quilt for a fallen officer. >

Need help with a quilt for a fallen officer.

Need help with a quilt for a fallen officer.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM

I make quilts for families of those who have lost a loved one in the line of duty. This last week we had a correction officer murdered. It has really hit the community here and she left behind a boyfriend who is so devistated and having a difficult time. The fabric I have is police officer fabric given to me by Robert Kaufman what other fabric would you use? I am having a hard time with this because I am not sure if putting the police fabric in the quilt under these circumstances would be something he would want. I would like to make him a comfort quilt. Please help. Thank you!! Jade
Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 PM

that is a touchy one just follow your heart
Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned

I can understand your dilemma so I can only say how I would feel. She had to be doing a job she loved--and like the military this is not the job for everyone. He had to love her very much as this type of job is also hard on the loved ones.
It will be a nice tribute to her and in time he will be able to look at your quilt and tell people about her and about the woman who cared enough to make him something to remember her by.
I mean no disrespect to anyone. My thoughts come from making people memory quilts after a loss.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Can you find out anything personal about her? Her favorite colors, favorite pass time things to do etc.
I do think the quilt will be greatly appreciated no matter how you deside to construct it.
Blessings to you.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM

I agree with Carron...I would make it with her personal hobbies, past times not her job. I enjoy my job but would not want a job quilt and i am sure my husband would not want one to remind him how I passed away...but one to remember me or and the things we did together.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 PM

I think opposite: He would remember her for everything she was - police officer included. She died doing what she loved, right? I would include that fabric FIRST and coordinate around it. my humble opinion ...
Old 02-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I make quilts for families of those who have lost a loved one in the line of duty. This last week we had a correction officer murdered. It has really hit the community here and she left behind a boyfriend who is so devistated and having a difficult time. The fabric I have is police officer fabric given to me by Robert Kaufman what other fabric would you use? I am having a hard time with this because I am not sure if putting the police fabric in the quilt under these circumstances would be something he would want. I would like to make him a comfort quilt. Please help. Thank you!! Jade
Jade, my husband is in the law enforcement field so I asked him what he thought. His recommendation is to NOT use the police officer fabric. His thoughts are to maybe include in the label that it is in memory of the officer and her years of service.

As a thought, when an officer has died in the line of duty, other officers will wear a black ribbon across their shield in honor of that officer. Maybe you could work in a black sashing or boarder or maybe just a single block in the middle with the black ribbon across it.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 PM

So tough. My heart goes out to her family. I think any gesture would be appreciated during this difficult time. It's so nice of you to contribute to your community. Your kind makes this world go round!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 PM

I agree with quiltnmom, leave the police officer fabric out and include a special label.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Thank you for asking your husband. My husband was the one who wanted the police fabric but as a wife I am torn especially the circumstance of this. I think I will take your advice thank you so much for your help. I do like your suggestion on the black border I will make it work. Thank you again! Jade

Originally Posted by quiltnmom
Jade, my husband is in the law enforcement field so I asked him what he thought. His recommendation is to NOT use the police officer fabric. His thoughts are to maybe include in the label that it is in memory of the officer and her years of service.

As a thought, when an officer has died in the line of duty, other officers will wear a black ribbon across their shield in honor of that officer. Maybe you could work in a black sashing or boarder or maybe just a single block in the middle with the black ribbon across it.