Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help for quilt idea

Need help for quilt idea

I work with this great 16 year old girl who is a real animal lover she wants to be a vet someday so for her graduation in two years i would love to make her a quilt she lives on a farm with her five horses has sheep cows ducks cats dogs does anyone have any ideas for a quilt for her i could make? Thanks for any help you can give me . mkay

The only idea I can come up with is to make a quilt out of fabrics that are animal prints. Perhaps use a rail fence design - sort of reminiscent of the fences on a farm.

Debbie Mumm has several beautiful designs, featuring country animals. The book, I have, is "Quick Country Quilting." Some of the projects are wall hangings but could easily be turned into larger quilts, by adding another row of blocks.

Here's what the cover looks like-

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=OSVuwrpQw68C
    Last edited by Neesie; 07-31-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

There has been a couple of farm animals quilt swaps. Do a search and see some of the finished blocks and quilts.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

A friend is making a quilt for her grandaughter that shows pigs in 4-H.
    It looks like paper piecing, but it's not. If you could find farm animal squares to make and vary them throughout the quilt, that might work. Then back it with some tractor fabric.

OR, you could make a barn in the middle and surround it with critters.

Let us know what you end up making.

Blog Entries
    I like the idea given by HillCountryGal......barn as the center block and build around it.
    You could use photos for some of the blocks...perhaps some photos of her animals.....if you can get them.

Another idea is to use Attic Window blocks with farm scenes for the center of the 'window'.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other ideas.
    Let us know what you decide. It should be an interesting project.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

visit 'critter pattern works' they have lots of applique patterns for farm animals & lots of 'critters' along with some good (inspirational) quilt ideas.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I love the attic window idea..this way the blocks would be large enough to see the animals. i am afraid if you do a rail fence the animls would get lost in the cutting.

Blog Entries
    They make a pink John Deere fabric if that is helpful

What about a barn in the middle and applique animals around it.. maybe make a fenced in area for horses , chicken coop. idea are endless. I have great ideas just not always sure how to do what i see in my minds eye. LOL

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast