Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with quilt pattern please

My daughter-in-law lost her father several years ago but she has all of his western shirts with snap fronts which are many. She would like to have lap quilts or wall hangings for herself, brother and mother out of these shirts. Does anyone have an Idea how to make quilts or a pattern maybe with using the complete front of the shirt in a block.

Blog Entries
    I've seen some made into pillow fronts, with the back patched from the remainder of the shirt. Looked neat, even had a name over the pocket.

Boy I am out of ideas on that one. Will be anxious to see what some answers are.

What about cutting out squares or retangles and making a rag quilt and applique a whole shirt front to the back of the quilt. Just an idea

Maybe the shirts could become appliqued cowboy boots with the placket incorporated as decoration.

Banned
    How about stitching the front closed and then cut our large blocks of fabric and make a large block quilt. easy peasey and simple

If you want to use the fronts without cutting them in squares I agree that sewing the front closed and applique. You could make a lg square and the fill in around that with squares or stripes of matching and contrasting material. May even working the material from the back and sleeves into it. Hope this helps.

Paula, Utah

Power Poster
    I have made pillowcase out of pretty sweatshirts when my mother passed and each on in the family received a pillow.
    If you make quilts out of the whole shirt, be careful of the snaps when quilting, or just tie the quilts.

Quilters Newsletter for December/January, 2011, page 21, references a letter regarding a woman who quilted Western shirts for her father. While it does not specifically address a quilt, the article might be helpful to you. Also, there are patterns for T-shirt quilts you might could review and adapt to your project.

Blog Entries
    You could applique part of the collar and shirt front onto some plain blocks, use the rest of the shirts to piece 4 patches for alternate blocks. If any fabric is left, piece it for part of the backing. :D:D:D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast