Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a quilting dilemma

Need help with a quilting dilemma

I have inherited 28 beautiful star blocks, made in different shades of lavender. There is one block in the group that has been batted, backed and quilted. I don't know if the owner's intention was to continue with the entire quilt this way, or if I should put it together the conventional way of sewing the blocks together and treating the entire quilt as a whole for finishing. I have never worked on the individual blocks in this way, and would like some feedback....
    Thanks so much for your wonderful website and advice.

I think I would pick out the quilting on that block and put it together as a whole to quilt. I am not a fan of the way QAYG quilts look. Just do it the way you feel comfortable quilting. It will turn out great.

I would pick the batted block apart and sew it together the conventional way or the way you usually do.
    (\ (\
    (>':')
    (,( )( )

If you can find the same colors, remake the block and use the already quilted and batted block for a pillow or carry tote.

I have to agree, I would pick out the quilting and do what you are used to doing.

Dina

Sometimes we feel a sense of obligation to finish it as the quilter intended- I know this because I inherited approximately 12 WIPs from my mentor. However, I came to realize that the original quilter would be pleased and honored to have you finish the project YOUR way. I would use 25 of the blocks to make a top, use 2 on the back, and keep the batted block as an accessory wall hanging. Best of luck with the project!
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

QAYG are stiffer than a regular quilt. I have only made one and do not like it.

you could continue on as the original owner did and learn a new skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    QAYG are stiffer than a regular quilt. I have only made one and do not like it.
    A newbie question -- what makes the QAYG quilts stiffer? Thank you!

Judi

Quote Originally Posted by judi_lynne View Post
    A newbie question -- what makes the QAYG quilts stiffer? Thank you!

Judi
    that kind of puzzled me---i've made a number of quilt as you go quilts- i've never had one come out 'stiff' ???
    i have seen a 'Cotton Theory quilt' that was kind of stiff---there was so much dense quilting on it- but it even softened up when it was laundered...mine have never been stiff. stiffness depends on the batting used & the density of the quilting- some quilts are stiff even if not done qayg---i don't think that method is the determining factor....the batting/quilting density is the determining factor-i've seen hand quilted quilts quilted so densely they were like boards when finished-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast