Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help Quilting Lone Star >

Need Help Quilting Lone Star

Need Help Quilting Lone Star

Old 07-23-2016, 12:47 PM

Default Need Help Quilting Lone Star

Here's the history, a friend of mine was given a quilt for services from work.....All the person did was make the top, put that fiber batting in and wrapped the backing around to the front to make the borders...Nothing wrong with that, except no other quilting was done on the top...the wrap around border wasn't even...which meant, the first time this quilt would be washed, the batting would just bunch up...So there was no way I could just load this onto my longarm and quilt it as the borders was leaving the corners with ripples and folds...So I took it apart which took a little better than an hour...no biggy. but they had stitched the edge of the top to the fiber fill batting...so have to take that apart...Now as you can see, the star colors consist of black, gold, red and white...and the corners and triangles are white and this top has a black backing....Do you think it would look okay quilted with gold thread even in the white...I'm just afraid of the black bobbin thread coming through....I also have some ideas of how I am going to quilt this and will include pictures....I will probably have to purchase new backing, don't think I have enough to properly load it on my long arm...So what do you think quilt it with gold thread through out the whole quilt...if I do have to purchase new backing would you change the color of backing from black? Thanks for your help. Here is what I was thinking of quilting, either just the orange peel, or combining the orange peel with another element. I kinda think the swirl/fern is too much...what do you think. since the large squares and triangles are going to be just lines.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554509[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554511[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag1936.jpg   imag1937.jpg  
Old 07-23-2016, 12:57 PM

I would not change the color of the backing, however, black is one of my most favorite colors and I may be biased. I think the gold thread would be great, even if the black bobbin thread came up it would almost look intentional.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:23 PM

I like the idea of the fern, the orange peel works, but I think it isn't quite as interesting with the star as the fern.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 07-23-2016, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

I think gold thread will look good on the front and back. As for quilting pattern, I think I like the orange peel best. The feather is pretty but the orange peel will let this star diamond piecing show more.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:20 PM

I would use the black backing to make black boarders, but I would put a different backing on. i would be afraid the dark backing would make the white appear dirty. I like your Idea of the gold thread, and your fern quilting. Good luck,
Old 07-23-2016, 04:26 PM

Jane Quilter, you took the words right out of my mouth. If you don't want to change the black backing, I think you should quilt with gold in the bobbin too. Your quilting ideas look great, and I think it is good just the way you planned. The quilt just needs a few tweaks.
Sue
Old 07-23-2016, 06:08 PM

I love the idea to use the gold thread for the quilting. I also like the idea of using an orange peel design in the diamonds, along with the straight lines in the corners. This top is mostly white so I would ditch the black backing and use something lighter for the backing. A dark backing would dull the colors on the front.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:44 PM

I prefer the feather / fern it gives movement to the quilt. The straight lines will help with other problems.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

When I quilted them, I just did a continuous arc on each side of the four sides of the diamond. It goes quite quickly.