Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help on quilting this! >

Need help on quilting this!

Need help on quilting this!

Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 AM

Default Need help on quilting this!

I am making this crib quilt for my soon to be born Grandson! The circles and rings are applique. I want to do a straight grid on the background, outline the rings and do spiral circles in the circles. My question, which would you do first, the background or the circles and rings? I am doing this on my tabletop machine, not a long arm!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Mamaw322; 10-29-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:03 AM

I think I would first outline the rings, then do the grid, then do the spirals. What a fun and interesting quilt!
Old 10-29-2014, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

You state you're going to do this on your table top. Make sure it's basted really well so no pulling. You may want (as most do) start from the center and go out. Check your package for the batting requirements, the distance between quilting. Just check and see what would work best for you. Less bunching if you start in center. Anxious to see other ideas.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:19 AM

No help on the quilting but love the quilt.
Did you have a pattern or did you just wing it?
Old 10-29-2014, 06:52 AM

No, I certainly cannot take credit for this pattern I found a picture of it on Pinterest and was delighted to see that the designer had a pattern for sale! Her name is Cynthia Muir. The pattern is available on Craftsy. It is called Circles and Rings. She also has a great Blog called. Ahhhh, quilting! Very nice gal who has been kind enough to answer some of my questions when I emailed her!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Whenever I do a crosshatch on my sewing machine I get a little movement of the fabric. I think I would baste well or use 505 to reduce slipping. If you do the circles first and then try to do the crosshatching, you will probably get little tucks when you get to the quilted circles. I might be tempted to do the circle outlines first and then quilt different size circles or bubbles in the background. Cute top!
Old 10-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I too would outline the circles first and then fill in the background with whatever you are comfortable in doing. Make sure that the quilt is support so the weight doesn't tug while you are stitching.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 AM

Wonderful quilt. I would baste well and agree to outline the circles then background. Since the backround is very limited and will not be in long seams so think it would not be a big problem with walking of the fabric.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:21 AM

I looked at the pattern pics and it almost looks to me as though the cross-hatching was done first and circles applied/applique'd over that?
Old 10-29-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mamaw322 View Post
No, I certainly cannot take credit for this pattern I found a picture of it on Pinterest and was delighted to see that the designer had a pattern for sale! Her name is Cynthia Muir. The pattern is available on Craftsy. It is called Circles and Rings. She also has a great Blog called. Ahhhh, quilting! Very nice gal who has been kind enough to answer some of my questions when I emailed her!
Thank you for the info.
I'm off to check out her blog.