Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need HELP re. Queen size quilt >

Need HELP re. Queen size quilt

Need HELP re. Queen size quilt

Old 10-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Need HELP re. Queen size quilt

I have this pattern, Crescendos (http://www.marianneelizabeth.com/ite...7#.VhmFj_lVhHw) that I would like to make for my bed. I would like to make it a coverlet instead of an actual quilt (much thinner and I hate bed skirts). My problem is that I have only a short arm quilting machine (9 inch) on a 10 foot frame (actual usable area about 90" wide). I cannot afford to send it out to be quilted (~$185). It will end up being 108" x 114" (includes pillow tuck). My idea would be:

1. Sew the top together in sections.

2. Quilt it in sections with only the top and a very thin batting (like warm and natural, but thinner).

3. Sew the sections together, making the large top.

4. Sew the backing on with right side facing the top, leaving an opening in which to birth it.

5. Birth the quilt then do a french seam all around the edge.

I would pre-wash all the fabric prior to cutting (including the batting) so it should not shrink or become too lopsided.

Does anyone have any ideas? Would this work?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:36 PM
RST

The pattern you link looks like it would be admirably suited to a quilt as you go method, which is basically what you outlined doing, except you don't have a solution for dealing with a loose and un-attached backing. I think you would find that the wear pattern of the backing would be affected adversely.

What if you were to quilt conventionally in 4 quadrants, then attach the quadrants together along the sashing area?

Whether this is worth it would depend on how you intend to quilt it -- straight line stitching? FMQ? Edge to edge or a motif? In the ditch only?

Another idea you could play with would be to do what you planned, but then also add tacking, tying, or a decorative button or area of stitching in the cornerstones of the sash to keep that backing from billowing.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Personally, I would do a more traditional quilt as you go process. I would assemble (with backing) the 'body' of the quilt which would be the part that is on the top of the mattress and quilt that. I would then assemble (with backing) and quilt the borders, then attach them with your favorite QAYG technique.
Your method would depend on how sturdy the batting was to survive quilting without a backing. Then the backing is going to be flapping in the wind. I think you would be constantly struggling to keep the backing & quilt together.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I have had to wrestle with straightening/aligning even small, crib size quilts using the birthing method. Then it is a challenge to get the edges lined up nicely.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Machine Quilting in Sections, by Marti Michell, is well worth the money and will give you several ideas for successfully quilting on a DSM by dividing the quilting into sections. I used several of the methods she describes before I got a longarm. http://www.amazon.com/Marti-Michell-...ng+in+sections
Old 10-11-2015, 11:31 AM

Thank you all for your great thoughts. One of the worse parts of this pattern is that it is on point. Which means that if you do not want to cut some of the blocks, you are going to get two of the four sections with only a very small top edge that would be a real bugger to load onto the quilting machine. I mostly do an all-over panto. I may have to change the orientation and just make it square on. But, again, thank you all for your thoughts. I will post it (if I can get back far enough to get the whole thing in a picture) when I get it done.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:36 AM

Yes, it will work, make sure your batting fits right up to the joining seams. The technique is "birthing the quilt".
Old 10-13-2015, 08:40 PM

I have a question about these books? If I can't understand them (being still new) will there be a problem returning them?
Jeri