Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help in researching long arm machine >

need help in researching long arm machine

need help in researching long arm machine

Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 AM

Hello, i am looking at a ken quilt KQ622. does anyone have any experience on this long arm machine? What i would like to know is it user friendly to a newbie and also please let me know over all what you thi nk of this machine. thanks for your help. valamar
Old 07-22-2010, 06:47 AM

Before I bought my longarm I did tons of research. I looked, called, posted for 2 years before my purchase. I suggest using the machine (if possible) before purchase. If you are buying new, call KenQuilt and get as much info as possible. How long is the warranty? How is the warranty serviced? What maintenance is required by the user? Where to take it for service? How much is service? Can you use all threads in it? What size bobbin? (M size bobbins are the largest) Can rulers be used with the hopping foot? Albeit, the price may be tempting, just don't make a multi-dollar mistake.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by valamarfarms
Hello, i am looking at a ken quilt KQ622. does anyone have any experience on this long arm machine? What i would like to know is it user friendly to a newbie and also please let me know over all what you thi nk of this machine. thanks for your help. valamar
The machine you specify is NOT a long arm. At best it's a mid arm. If you want a long arm you should look at other machines for more throat clearance. Also, try using the search feature above to find threads about a specific machine.

The manufacturer may call it a long arm, but any machine with 11" of throat space....isn't.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:57 AM

My system uses the Baby Lock with 9" throat. I can do a 5 inch pattern on baby quilts through full size quilts, but it is very difficult to even do a 5" pattern on a queen size. So with a 11.5" throat you could probably do a 6" pattern. My suggestion is...if you can afford a larger throat machine I would not get this one.

The reason I purchased the system I have is because it is the only one I could afford but it is time consuming to do such small patterns. But on the bright side, I can quilt my own quilts and every now and then I even quilt for friends and make a little extra cash.