Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Ribbon Block pattern

Need help with Ribbon Block pattern

I am trying to help my niece in putting together a quilt from embroidery block alternating with pieced ribbon blocks like these.

Name:  DSC01868fixed.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  233.4 KB

She got the block pattern from Quilters Cache at http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RibbonPuzzleBlock.html
    I have been working on this and after about three days I have two blocks done, which doesn't look all that good. My question is, "Do you think this block would be easy enough for someone who is not a quilter?" I am an eperienced quilt maker and if I can't do this, I wonder about her doing it once I turn it over to her to make 13 ribbon blocks.

Blog Entries
    Wow those do look tricky. From the photo it's difficult to see how they are assembled. Are there basically 9 smaller patches that go together, or are those longer strips continuous across the block?
    I guess I would break it up into a 9 patch if it's not and then have her do the blocks assembly line style.
    The 4 blocks that are in the center of the sides could be strip pieced, which would be a good place for her to start. Then do the SIS centers.
    Then I think I would break up the corner blocks into mini 9 patches. squares with HST in the corners...
    Same effect with a bit less fiddling maybe???
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Well, is your niece good at following directions? Does she know how to piece?
    It doesn't look that difficult but does require some precision piecing.
    If she wants to quilt she'll have to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    Well, is your niece good at following directions? Does she know how to piece?
    It doesn't look that difficult but does require some precision piecing.
    If she wants to quilt she'll have to start somewhere.
    I don't know if she is precise or not, I don't think she has sewn sinc high school, about 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Wow those do look tricky. From the photo it's difficult to see how they are assembled. Are there basically 9 smaller patches that go together, or are those longer strips continuous across the block?
    I guess I would break it up into a 9 patch if it's not and then have her do the blocks assembly line style.
    The 4 blocks that are in the center of the sides could be strip pieced, which would be a good place for her to start. Then do the SIS centers.
    Then I think I would break up the corner blocks into mini 9 patches. squares with HST in the corners...
    Same effect with a bit less fiddling maybe???
    Thanks Paper Princess. I was trying to figure out how some of this could be strip pieced. I see the two 2-1/2 in squares, the the top and bottom white 4-1/2 and the colored 2 1/2x 4 1/2 could. The strip going across the block is all one piece with a half square triangle on the end.

These are pretty and will make a beautiful quilt! If she's willing to help you - why not give it a go. We all started somewhere

Power Poster
    Yours look lovely but hers will probably not be the same. Two people sewing with different machines and different levels of experience is going to mean different sized blocks. They don't look too difficult once you study the units but if she has no quilting experience, she will find them challenging.

I am still a new quilter, feel I would give it a go. I have been at it for a couple of years, I sure would not have been able to handle it as a first project without a lot of help!!!

I wouldn't want to try that for my first quilt! Your blocks look great!
    Another question: How retentive is your niece? It would make me crazy to see your perfect blocks next to my wonky blocks.
    Maybe you can do the blocks for her and let her do the finishing? You say she's not a quilter, but does that also mean she's never sewn anything?
    Good luck-hope you can help her through it and find a new quilting buddy for yourself in the process!

Quote Originally Posted by hudgoddess View Post
    I wouldn't want to try that for my first quilt! Your blocks look great!
    Another question: How retentive is your niece? It would make me crazy to see your perfect blocks next to my wonky blocks.
    Maybe you can do the blocks for her and let her do the finishing? You say she's not a quilter, but does that also mean she's never sewn anything?
    Good luck-hope you can help her through it and find a new quilting buddy for yourself in the process!
    She is good at retaining information. The process of putting all the pieces together didn't bother her, infact she set up and pinned all the pieces for me to sew. I'm not worried about that part of it. It's just seems like so many pieces that have to fit for someone who hasn't sewn all that much. She won't have time to sew for a couple weeks, when she is ready, I'll have everything cut ready and if she doesn't think that she can make the blocks, I will do them for her and let her sew them and the embroidery block together and put the borders on it.
    Thanks everyone for the help.
    Barb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast