Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with Sewing Machine pattern

There is a Sewing Machine pattern on Quilters Cache that I would like to make. The only thing is, it's paper pieced. I have never done paper piecing yet. Still working on piecing correctly. How do I figure out how to do this by just piecing it? Can it be done? I have no idea what size to cut the pieces. Not sure how it will turn out this way but I would like to try.

Thanks

I looked and did not see "Sewing Machine" listed - what is the actual name of the block you are looking at?

Do you see the tutorial listed at the bottom of your page when you write called Paper Piecing Basics? If you do not have a clue what you are doing, this is a good place to start. There are fantastic tutorials out there if you Google "Paper-Piecing". You just have to perform a search.

Paper piecing is a completely different method from rotary cutting & piecing so even if you're still working on that perfect 1/4" seam--paper piecing won't interfere with that practice. You follow a line when you sew while paper piecing--not an imaginary or mythical (in some cases) 1/4". An actual honest to goodness sew right down this line! And it's even numbered for you so you know which piece to sew next.

I learned to paper piece before I found out about that persnickety 1/4" and I think the transition was easier because of it. I also had a faulty ruler when I first started quilting and I could not get any of my swap blocks to measure whatever was needed until I resorted to paper-piecing. I kept thinking it was me until the lightbulb went on and I actually compared my ruler to a carpenter's tape measure. I thought I would never be able to rotary cut & piece until then. I had sewn clothes from Barbie size to XXL for 30 years and never had a problem until I bought a "quilting" ruler that was out to get me--LOL!

Look into www.fatcatpatterns.com/default.html they have three designs of a singer featherweight.

Quote Originally Posted by eparys
    I looked and did not see "Sewing Machine" listed - what is the actual name of the block you are looking at?
    http://quilterscache.com/N/NotionsBlock.html

Paper piecing isn't the easiest to do but once you learn how, it's a piece of cake. Personally, I cut off the paper seam allowance but add it after I've pieced the section. Work in sections, you don't have to cut a particular sized fabric for the section. Start with one section, put the fabric you want for #1 UNDERNEATH, right side facing OUT, the paper with the print side up. I put a couple dabs of Elmer's Washable School Glue, then press, so that it's dry. Fold where the line is between #1 & 2 with the next fabric, if you have to hold it up to the light to make sure that it will cover the #2 section, sew, repeat. I hope I'm explaining this well enough. If not, PM me and maybe I can walk you through it better.