Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with sewing  machine >

Need help with sewing machine

Need help with sewing machine

Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 PM

I will try to explain but I do not know the right names for the parts of my machine.
When you take the thread and start threading it and loop down and back up again to the hook inside the machine ( before you take it back down to thread the needle)
my thread keeps breaking at that hook ...does anyone know why it is doing that...I thought maybe it was bad thread but tried a different kind of expensive thread from the quilt shop just to see if it was indeed the thread and sure enough it is doing it with that thread as well!urg
What am I doing wrong?
Any help would be greatly appriciated!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:33 AM

Well, first thing I would do is get my book out and open it to "threading your machine" and look at the diagram and see if you are doing something wrong.... believe it or not, after 40 years of sewing, I have threaded a machine or two wrongly and it will definitely break your thread.

Also, your needle may be in backwards. This has ALSO happened to me. Check to make sure the needle isn't bent also.

Have you recently adjusted your upper tension for one project and forgotten to put it back to wherever your "normal" setting is?

Check your bobbin area for lint or any other "foreign matter"....your upper thread maybe getting hung up in something there.

Are you putting the spool on so that the thread won't catch in the little nick in the spool?

These are just things that have happened to me.... hope you figure it out and let us know!!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 AM
Administrator

I'm with CQ. Drag out the book. Make sure the spool is loaded in the right direction.

you haven't said which brand an model machine you have. there's probably a little thingamajobber you can't see in the long space where the thread goes down for the first time. if the thread is on the wrong side of that part, your thread won't go smoothly through all the hoopdedoops that regulate tension and will break.

if there's a store near you that carries the same machine, take a spool of thread with you to the store and try threading a floor sample. have you asked a friend to try threading it to see if they have the same problem? that will tell you whether it's your mistake or a machine defect.

if it does turn out to be your mistake, don't feel too bad. we've all goofed it up at least once. i wish i had a dollar for every time i have. :lol:
Old 01-05-2008, 07:34 AM

It's a brother from wally world ....I know I am threading it right because the directions are on the machine...I will dig for the book to see if I am missing something!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

box that sucker up and get thee to wallyworld with a spool of thread. if you prove to yourself it's the machine, it's in the car all ready to return.

:-)
Old 01-05-2008, 09:35 AM

If your bobbin is they plastic type check it by using a different one. these machines now days are very sensitive. and if the thread is not just so on the bobbin it will also cause breaking.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly
It's a brother from wally world ....I know I am threading it right because the directions are on the machine...I will dig for the book to see if I am missing something!
Good luck, girl! I think that says it all...mine are Brothers from WM also. Take it back if it's been less than 90 days...got a receipt?
I'll never own another Brother.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 AM

When I was comparison shopping in the $250-300 range, there were huge differences in what different brands offerred. The Brothers at WM seemed like toys compared to the Kemnore I got. I burn out $99 machines in a year at best, it does not pay for me to get them. I am "rough on my appliances" too.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 AM

Oh Ya'll
I got my book out and started reading( I am one of those that only reads directions when things go wrong! lol)
well any ways I found out the bobbin I was using was too small I needed a bigger one ...I had gotten some premade black and white ones at walmart and they needed to be taller....
so even in quilting...SIZE DOES MATTER!!!! hahaha
thought ya'll would get a kick out of that one :)
Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 AM

Thank Ya'll for all your help! :)