Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help.  Sewing on the quilt top & bottom binding >

Need Help. Sewing on the quilt top & bottom binding

Need Help. Sewing on the quilt top & bottom binding

Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM

Default Need Help. Sewing on the quilt top & bottom binding

Does anyone know how to sew on the binding to a quilt where your can sew the top and bottom binding on at the same time? I know it can be done as years ago I had a quilt quilted and they added the binding as well; and they sewed the top and bottom binding on at the same time (you can tell by the machine stitching).

This was one of my first quilts, so I never bothered to ask how they did it at that time...and now I wish I had.

I sew on my top binding by machine then tuck & fold and then hand stitch the back binding on.

Any one out there who knows how to sew your top & bottom binding on at the same time?

Althea in FL
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

binding, I cut my binding strips usually at 2 1/2 inches. connect those cuts to a long binding strip long enough to go around your quilt. then I fold it wrong sides together and lay it on the quilt matching raw edges of binding to raw edges of your basted quilt. there are tons of tutorials out there and most likely in this forum too for this.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 AM

I'm trying to find a good toot for this since I was wondering the same thing...but in the meantime, I found this oh-so-cool binding method from someone named Susie:
http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tues...c-binding.html
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Teeler, that's a nice way of doing them. I think it would be very challenging to try to attach the binding all in one sweep. Even if you purchase your binding you would be better to stitch it on the seam & fold over into place & then machine stitch it down from the front where you can see that you are actually catching in the fabric you want.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Try this for your binding.

Jan in VA
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Straight Grain Binding.pdf (615.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 04-08-2013, 02:04 PM

I've tried doing the front and back at one time and I always end up with areas that weren't stitched.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

you stitch the raw edge of the binding to the raw edge of the quilt- generally on the back for machine binding- then fold to the front & stitch in the ditch (in a perfect world) it comes out very nice & even-
some people fold over to the top then stitch using a decorative stitch along the edge of the binding-
or you can start by attaching to the top, fold over to back & stitch in the ditch from the top- hopefully catching the binding evenly on the back...pin closely (or use glue) to hold the binding in place & stitch slowly...try it out on a small practice quilt sandwich (like pot holders, placemat, something small & easy to work with) to get the hang of it & figure out what works best for you.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM

My friend sews her binding all by machine but not the front and back at the same time. She spends almost as much time adjusting her binding and sewing as I spend hand stitching the binding.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 PM

I imagine that the binding that was sewn onto your first quilt was done using a special binding foot. That is how bindings are done commercially. I know that the binding foot attachment came with most vintage sewing machines and are available for modern machines.

Last edited by Caroline S; 04-08-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 AM

Thanks everyone for all your help. I do have a Singer Featherweight which has a binding foot (and I was hoping to use it), but the finished binding was way to small to use on a quilt. So I'll have to try some of your suggestions to see which one works better or else I'm just stuck with sewing it on by hand.