Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Sewing Strips Together >

Need Help with Sewing Strips Together

Need Help with Sewing Strips Together

Old 04-06-2015, 09:10 AM

OK, I loosened the presser foot pressure which was really tight, so that helped somewhat, but I did figure out that some of the thinner strips are in fact stretchy ​while the rectangle is not. I think those must be the ones causing me problems. I think I'll try putting the stretchy strip on the bottom when I sew those. Thanks for your help! <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f81c71f0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 AM
mac

When I pin 2 strips of fabric together, I start by pinning the ends first, then straighten the strip out and put a pin in the middle. If you find that you have more material on the top or bottom I'll put an extra pin between those sections, too.Then when you sew them together always put the strip side that has more material down. The feed dogs will help distribute the material more evenly. Also, be sure you are not holding your material too tightly or pulling it too tightly, remember you are only guiding the material through.

I also have a plastic seam guide that I can screw on the machine so that it helps to keep a scant 1/4".
Good luck.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:17 AM
mac

You are right, the stretchier material should always go on the bottom.

Another thing is, if you are using thinner material and cutting strips you should cut the length of the material for length of the strip. For instance, you are cutting 2.5" by 8", you want to cut the fabric 8" wide and then take your 2.5" out of that strip. You do this because the length of the material doesn't stretch as much the width.

Let me see if I can say that more clearly, the salvage edge of the fabric (length) does not stretch as much as the width of the material. You want to cut the long piece from the salvage side.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:55 PM

You can also glue the strips together then they won't move! Make sure you use washable school glue, and just a thin bead w/in the 1/4" seam allowance.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
You are right, the stretchier material should always go on the bottom.

Another thing is, if you are using thinner material and cutting strips you should cut the length of the material for length of the strip. For instance, you are cutting 2.5" by 8", you want to cut the fabric 8" wide and then take your 2.5" out of that strip.
Yes, I did cut like that. I was mostly cutting from FQ so cut my 8" first and got as many big pieces as I could and usually one or two 2.5" pieces. Then I would cut a 2.5" strip and cut a few strips out of that which is where I'm having the problem, with those pieces. But as long as I test each piece before I pin and place it on my machine the correct way I'm good! Thanks!

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f81c71f0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f81c71f0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
Old 04-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

I keep the pressure foot as tight as it will go for piecing. It gives more control of the feeding of the fabric. If the fabric was cut crossgrain then it will be stretchy. I cut all strips lengthwise grain. If your machine is feeding evenly then there shouldn't be a big problem with stretching.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:26 PM

I'm a little confused. When sewing the stripes I would startch the narrow stripes.

second section; if your block is 6 inch square you only need to add one and a half width strip on each side to do 8 inch square.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:36 AM

You have found the same problem ALL of us have had at one time or another. No big deal, it will go back to being fun just take a deep breath. When I'm going to cut strips I try to make sure that I've starched my fabric before cutting. This helps keep your fabric chrisp as well as keeping the bowing down. Now when you go to sew a strip onto your rectangle (rectangle being larger and face up with strip face down - with starch or without just work with what you have), sew together (walking foot helps a lot or pinning a lot helps too). Now press (PRESS not iron - please), your strip open, with your two pieces sewn together these will be placed face up and your next strip will be face down. This is when you will turn your block around (so you will be sewing your seam in the opposite direction), new strip is always on top facing down and you change the direction of your sewing (ie: if your rectangle is pointed with the outer edge away from your machine when you sew your first strip down, then it will be turned with the outer edge facing your machine for the second strip to be sewn on - again facing down). Most of the time when you are finished you will need to square up a little (some blocks more some much less). Good luck and breath
Old 04-07-2015, 03:43 AM

You've gotten lots of great advice. I would only add that starching fairly heavily helps tremendously. I use liquid sta-flo and mix about 50/50. Some people 'paint' their fabric with that mixture to get it really heavily saturated. I just spray and find that works well enough for me. Just make sure to let the mixture soak into the fabric for a minute or so before ironing your fabrics.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
When I pin 2 strips of fabric together, I start by pinning the ends first, then straighten the strip out and put a pin in the middle. If you find that you have more material on the top or bottom I'll put an extra pin between those sections, too.Then when you sew them together always put the strip side that has more material down. The feed dogs will help distribute the material more evenly. Also, be sure you are not holding your material too tightly or pulling it too tightly, remember you are only guiding the material through.

I also have a plastic seam guide that I can screw on the machine so that it helps to keep a scant 1/4".
Good luck.

My method described perfectly!