Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Sewing Strips Together >

Need Help with Sewing Strips Together

Need Help with Sewing Strips Together

Old 04-07-2015, 04:33 AM

Misbehaving fabric certainly can take the fun out of sewing.

When faced with your dilemma, I match the top seam then sew two or three stitches. I leave the fabric under the presser foot then pin the bottom seam (to match). I gently tug the fabric while holding the bottom pin and sew. When I get to the pin, I remove it and use a stiletto to push the ends through. I usually have to trim the blocks or pieces to size because I tugged. I really dislike sewing a million little pieces together so....

When ever possible, I sew the WOF strips together FIRST then sub cut into the size I need; I Chain sew pieced pieces onto a WOF strip then sub cut whenever possible too. Sorry this won't help right now (unless you have extra yardage of your small strip stretchy fabric) for this project.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 AM

I was taught " baggy on the bottom" .also this is what fons and Porter say. If you think about it -If you pin the strips at each end and put the "stretch" side on the botton then the top will stretch a little as yuu are sewing so the ends should be even.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Often if I'm having this problem with a stretchy material, I pin lengthwise along the seam. Just have to be careful to remove the pin.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
I'm sewing strips together and I'm having a heck of a time...
You shouldn't have to compensate so much for the fabric or the machine. Perhaps take some of your fabric sets to a friend's home, sew them on her machine and see if you get better results. If there is a dedicated sewing machine store in your area perhaps you could test your sets there. Just see if it's the machine, your fabric or your technique. I'm not advocating purchasing a new or used machine, just problem solving.

My first machine was troublesome. I didn't know there was an alternative. I went to a quilt show over 20 years and compared all the major manufacturers' machines against my own fabric. I purchased a machine and oh my gosh,what a pleasure it has been. I know I would never have become the quilter I am without the help of that machine.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-08-2019 at 02:40 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I just cut my fabrics a little longer and square up after sewing.
.....me too!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:23 PM

Default Here is a garment manufacturing trick

The problem is that your feed dogs push the bottom fabric through, then the top is just dragged along. All machines, new or old do this. No problem. Try this trick. Hold the two pieces together about 12 to 18 inches away from the needle end. I usually go from boob to needle, you choose which is good for you. then lift the strip just a little off the machine bed so it does not touch the machine until just before it goes under the needle. Sew up to your fingers and then readjust. Believe me this works, I do it all the time when sewing strips and strings. I also use this when sewing on batting sometimes. You can use a walking foot which pushes the two pieces at the same rate. This is the same thing with out the walking foot. There is probably nothing wrong with your machine at all. I have a high end one and it is the same for me. Try out this "trick" and I think you will see a difference. The reason you don't see this issue on short seams is because the seam ends before the problem appears.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:34 PM

If you can adjust the weight of the presser foot. I know that the fabric on the bottom is always moved more by the feed dogs. I pin at the beginning and at the end. When it comes close to the end I have been known to pull (hold onto) the two tightly so they end up evenly. I don't own a walking foot. So...I make do!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:57 AM

all machines are made to creep on long strips.it is in the feed dogs just know it can and will do it.
.. learned that long ago on curtains..
do a test ....sew 1/2 way and turn it and sew up the other way and see if that helps... always did
for me so give it a try out..
Old 04-08-2015, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

I have at times just cut off the excess of the strip if it is longer than the square I am attaching it to.
The most part of sewing anything is to know how to fix any kind of errors.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:22 AM

have you tried using a leader when you start sewing the two pieces together? leader is a snippet of fabric you start off with and then gently move your two pieces of fabric into line for sewing. Hold the two pieces of fabric steady as you move them into position to sew or bottom one will move a smidgeon and that will throw your allowance out of balance. If you pin the two pieces together, pin perpendicular at edges and with left hand ease this into line for sewing. start to sew and gently remove pin when your needle comes up to pins Good luck ;-)