Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need  help from someone smarter than me! >

Need help from someone smarter than me!

Need help from someone smarter than me!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM

I am in the process of making a donation quilt for my church. I am trying to match up 2 strips of a fabric made of small squares of neckerchief scarves. (Purchased) I have them matched beautifully on the front but I have NO idea how to keep them matched while I turn right sides together to actually SEW them together. Any ideas??? It sounded simple until I got it home and found the squares are offset and have NO line in common. I just thought I would cut down the length 1/4 inch off the line .... and sew them together..... WRONG. I have even thought about invisible thread but this quilt is supposed to be tied. I feel so STUPID that I didn't notice it at the store!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 PM

easy to not see until strips are cut --- but I think it will be interesting to see how many people will click this thread simply because of the title! lol.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Well, I'm not.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Perhaps you could iron the seam of one at the right spot and then lay it on top of the other lined up then place a couple spots of glue in the seam allowance to keep them lined up until you sew it.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Would it work to pick the seams or lines of the scrafs and pin them. Then when sewing stretch them a little so they line up? I would do each square individually -lots of pins.

Maybe turn one piece around and sew it to the other side?

I bet you can tell I'm new to quilting.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Momwood
I am in the process of making a donation quilt for my church. I am trying to match up 2 strips of a fabric made of small squares of neckerchief scarves. (Purchased) I have them matched beautifully on the front but I have NO idea how to keep them matched while I turn right sides together to actually SEW them together. Any ideas??? It sounded simple until I got it home and found the squares are offset and have NO line in common. I just thought I would cut down the length 1/4 inch off the line .... and sew them together..... WRONG. I have even thought about invisible thread but this quilt is supposed to be tied. I feel so STUPID that I didn't notice it at the store!
I have re-read your post several times and do not understand the question. You say you have them matched on the front, but no idea how to keep them matched while you turn right sides together. How can you have them matched on the front before you sew together?

If you have several blocks sewn together into 2 different strips and you are trying to sew these strips together and can't match the seams, the easiest away to put them together is to offset the seams--don't try and match the seams... With charity quilts the person receiving it does not know that the pattern they received is not the pattern it was suppose to be.....
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM

WEll I had to see if I was smarter but nope no clue! Have you ever played the game Are you smarter than a 5th grader? Oh my gosh I wasn't!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 PM

The fabric is the squares of scarf. I bought a 6 yards of it. I am trying to make a double bed quilt for a donation project for my church. I folded and matched the design from the front.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154043.jpe  
Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 PM

Is it possible to sew a thin strip of what ever color between the two and not have to match up the squares?

This sounds good to me but then I may not be reading your situation right either. lol
Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Are you wanting to seam it where it's pinned now? What if you pressed the top layer where you have it folded? Then mark the bottom layer with a disappearing pen, or bast along that line. Then you can lay the fabric right sides together, and match the ironed fold with the pen marks/basting line. Pin well. I think it will be very difficult to get it exact.

Or --- are you matching two lengths of the fabric? Can you determine how many inches in from the salvage one fabric needs to be to make the match? Also, it looks like you might have a few points that you can match. The edge of the hexagon with the leaves looks like it should match, as well as the squares in the gingham section. I've never used a glue as someone suggested in a previous post, but that might work, or use pins. Reminds me of matching plaids when sewing.

If I'm not understanding your problem, just ignore my ramblings.

Good Luck