Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with this Star Quilt >

Need help with this Star Quilt

Need help with this Star Quilt

Old 10-02-2015, 05:34 AM

Thanks, bear, for doing that. I think I would just take out the top two middle stars. Take off the bottom row, too, and switch those six stars around until you like them. That's why it is good to hang your quilt in a prominent place so you can look at it for a few days/weeks/months? Something will hit you between the eyes, and you know you have to change that.
As for the black corners, they are not really noticeable because of the black that goes around everything anyway. And I like the idea of a black stop border and then the addition of larger borders (flying geese or whatever else trips your trigger) to make the quilt bigger.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Another suggestion/reminder: If you can - take pictures of your layouts/arrangements while you do them.

Sometimes things jump out at one in a picture that one just does not "see" when looking at the object itself.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I like the idea of the four pinks in the corner and balancing the more "whispy" stars among the more solid ones.

As for the border, I would add a narrow floater border with a diamond or square in a square border. Then a solid black for some great quilting.

I love this arrangement! All those suggested are good, but this one satisfies my need for balance and color, I think.....my OCD! Lovely quilt! And it will be gorgeous however you finally arrange the blocks.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:52 AM

Oh my - I knew I would get help and I DID! Thank you all so much. Your information is just so helpful.

I also re-learned something: to wait and not be impatient. I had all those blocks sewn to the center feathered star block. I started unsewing this last night. I had sewed all those blocks up because I was SICK of having this quilt hanging around. I've had it for at least 15 years. I should have taken my time and let it sit for a while and played with it. I was sort of lost on what to do - I should have come here first. So now I'll work on it and post it again later.

I can't thank you enough!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:16 PM

The top right hand block--- I would change the four corners to the brighter red like the center. making it look larger.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 PM

Whatever you decide to do, this will be one fantastic quilt.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:52 PM

I might switch the 2 at the bottom right just for a bit more color balance or take the bottom right corner and swap it with one on the top row. I love doing multiple colored borders when I have these colors in the blocks. I would frame it with a small black just to stop the eye and then either do a multi colored border (perhaps pieces 4" to 6" long and 2" wide) Then finish with another black border and binding. Or do several small to larger borders - 1 1/2" black, med purple and med blue (or whatever are your 2 favorite colors in the blocks) and then finish with wider black border and black binding. I just like the idea of bringing out the colors of the various blocks. Whatever you choose will work great given that the base quilt top is really nice - love the variety.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:54 PM

I like the second arrangement Bear did. Also, after the black inner border, I'd suggest doing an outer border with triangles that are a larger version of what you have around the center. That would help add unity to the quilt since you have all the different sampler blocks.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by liwilliams View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]532195[/ATTACH]

It's been forever since I've been here - I've just been busy. However, when I needed help, this is the first place I thought to come to since everyone is always so kind and knowledgeable.

I'm making the attached star quilt. First - does it seem unbalanced to you? (I need some honest answers.) I was thinking maybe I need to switch one of the lower blocks to the top. Maybe the bottom second from the right to the top second from the left? Or have I just been looking at it too long?

And then I don't know what to do about the borders - this is a 53 inch square. I know I need a black slashing around it - maybe 2 1/2 (same as the slashing between blocks )or should it be wider 5 1/2? And then some type of pieced border? It would be nice to make it into a queen size.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

First, I think your quilt is absolutely stunning; second, I tend to agree with you about switching the two blocks.