Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help/suggestions for using eyelet fabric

Blog Entries

Question Need help/suggestions for using eyelet fabric

I was asked to make a baby girl quilt using eyelet fabric in the blocks. I think I need to back the top with something white so the batting won't show through and also won't continuously work it's way out through the small holes in the eyelet. I haven't done this before - any suggestions?

I made one years ago for my DD. I used solid colors with white eyelet over it on one and on another I used colored eyelet backed with the same color. Both turned out very pretty.

that sounds very pretty..I have some eyelet I didn't know what to use it for....Love the idea

If it's for a girl, why not put a soft pink fabric behind the eyelet. I think it could look gorgeous. Maybe even a small pink floral and use the fabric for strips between the blocks.

Power Poster
    Is the fabric all over eyelet or just rows? If it's all over eyelet, I would put a solid square behind it. If it just had a row, you could fuse a strip of fabric (the same or contrasting) behind the eyelet section.

I would cover the holes with something. White if the colors show through the fabric around the holes. If you don't the batting will come through the holes eventually and it will look like it needs a haircut. Just joking, but the batting WILL migrate through the holes and ruin the quilt. I think it will be very pretty with the holes covered.
    Sue

Have you considered an opaque fabric (like a soft/supple organza type)? This would only work if you don't expect it ever to be ironed. I do this to make eyelet dove stuffed Christmas ornaments. Works fine for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
    If it's for a girl, why not put a soft pink fabric behind the eyelet. I think it could look gorgeous. Maybe even a small pink floral and use the fabric for strips between the blocks.
    I made a Sunbonnet Sue baby quillt with eyelet over a soft pink (in the dressses with just the pink for the hats) several years ago & was quite please with how to turned out. Please post when you get yours done... I'll be anxious to see it!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

That would be my suggestion too. Back it with a pastel color that is the same as the eyelet or white on white or white on pink etc. I'm sure it will be beautiful no matter how you do it.

I like all the ideas of putting a pastel block behind the eyelet, but couldn't you just use a fusible lightweight interfacing like you would for a T-shirt quilt? I like the eyelet idea for a baby girl quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast